ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I've been reading up ClubWRX.net as a guest for like a month cause I decided I wasn't going to be an official member til' I got my baby ;) So I bought her tonight, Black 2008 WRX 4-door 5 speed man. :) It's been really dark since I got it so I will post pics up first thing tomorrow. Thinking of a few minors such as cold air intake, blow-off valve, and maybe powdercoating the rims black? any ideas? BTW I got the premium pckg for $27000 out the door, not so bad right?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Ok, So I've been reading up ClubWRX.net as a guest for like a month...Thinking of a few minors such as cold air intake, blow-off valve,
You have been reading ClubWRX for a month and you have decided on a CAI and BOV as your first mods? :confused1 Have you really been reading or just looking at the pictures?

BTW, Welcome and congrats on your purchase. :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually...

I have't yet decided I was just pondering. I have been reading but I am a noob and still trying to get things in order. Any ideas I'm still reading up on some things but I would take any advice seriously :) Thanks for the congrats I love this car, the way rexs drive is like you are one with ur vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
BOV is shooting yourself in the foot, right from the git-go.
CAI will constitute some ECU changes, via AccessPORT, or likewise.

Welcome to the club, btw!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet.

Thanks for the info guys, just a curious question; does the 08 WRX have a hydraulic clutch? How long does it last based on good driving habits? And should I always downshift even if im coming to a red light from 4th gr? :redface:

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Uhm, what?

Yes, it's a hydraulic clutch. Longivity is purely based on how you take care of the car and it's equipment.

yes, downshifting when coming to a stop helps save brakes. Is it a necessity? I'd say no.

·
Registered
305 Posts
$27000 is ok. The invoice price on the car is around 25000. I paid 26000 for my 08 and mine is 4EAT which adds a good chunk to the sticker.

Welcome and enjoy the car. Oh and I'd have to agree BOV and CAI wouldn't be the best starting mods. Short RAM is the way to go if your set on an Intake.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yes, downshifting when coming to a stop helps save brakes. Is it a necessity? I'd say no.
Why would you downshift to save brake pads and rotors? A new clutch costs a lot more and is a lot harder to put on. The downshift-as-standard-practice age ended when 4-wheel discs made it possible to slow and stop a passenger car without compression braking.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Why would you downshift to save brake pads and rotors? A new clutch costs a lot more and is a lot harder to put on. The downshift-as-standard-practice age ended when 4-wheel discs made it possible to slow and stop a passenger car without compression braking.
So now you're gonna tell me downshifting wears a clutch out? :rolleyes:
come on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, I don't care if you downshift or not. But assume a clutch will last you 1,000,000 shifts. A clutch that the driver downshifts every single stoplight will only last 2/3 as long as the one with no downshifts. A downshift creates negligible wear, as does a single press of the breaks. But we are talking about multiplying these things by the lifetime of the vehicle.

I don't know how much the wear actually is from a single up or downshift, so I'm done arguing about it. My point is just that using the clutch as brakes seems unnecessary when brakes are specifically made for that purpose, and cheaper.

You're the one who said downshift to save brakes, so as long as you're talking about using one part to save another it seems like you should consider the whole equation.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
funny, didn't know we were arguing.. :sadwave:

·
Registered
36 Posts
funny, didn't know we were arguing.
No worries, it's not like I have any idea what I'm talking about. After reading your build thread, it occurs to me that I should shut my mouth and stop deducing stuff.
I hereby concede that your mechanical experience trumps my expert combination of Sherlock Holmes-ing and Click and Clack regurgitation.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the club

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
No worries, it's not like I have any idea what I'm talking about. After reading your build thread, it occurs to me that I should shut my mouth and stop deducing stuff.
I hereby concede that your mechanical experience trumps my expert combination of Sherlock Holmes-ing and Click and Clack regurgitation.
LOL it's all good. Im no expert by any thought of the imagination.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, So I've been reading up ClubWRX.net as a guest for like a month cause I decided I wasn't going to be an official member til' I got my baby ;) So I bought her tonight, Black 2008 WRX 4-door 5 speed man. :) It's been really dark since I got it so I will post pics up first thing tomorrow. Thinking of a few minors such as cold air intake, blow-off valve, and maybe powdercoating the rims black? any ideas? BTW I got the premium pckg for $27000 out the door, not so bad right?

The black sedan is really a sharp looking car. Congrats! Don't worry about whether or not you got a good deal, just enjoy the car. Personally, I'm going for the Rallitek turbo/tmic/bov/tune myself for my red 08 sedan.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the car. Oh and I'd have to agree BOV and CAI wouldn't be the best starting mods. Short RAM is the way to go if your set on an Intake.
Good idea, get him set up with one of those Sweet Hot Air Intakes!!! Leave the SRI's alone and leave the intake as it is until you get a FMIC and need another intake, and then get a CAI to go with your tune for your new mods. Why people jump on the Hot Air Intakes is beyond me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So obviously I don't know everything about my car, yet. This is my first manny trans and I have almost mastered the upshifting and working on the downshifting...i hope I'm doing it right lol. I appreciate your guys' patience with me and the rest of the noobs. This is obviously one of the sickest forums out there! And I thought invoice price with the prem. package was closer to 27000, but don't matter either way I love my car. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
The cobb intake uses a box for their intake now. So now you can keep the snorkel with a slight improvement in performance (maybe?).

edit:Just realized how much this makes me sound like a cobb salesman.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good idea, get him set up with one of those Sweet Hot Air Intakes!!! Leave the SRI's alone and leave the intake as it is until you get a FMIC and need another intake, and then get a CAI to go with your tune for your new mods. Why people jump on the Hot Air Intakes is beyond me.
Which is why I said "if your set on getting an intake". And the debate btw CAI and SRI can go on for days. SRI and peoples choice to use them is "Beyond you" :confused: You can't comprehend why people install them???

·
Registered
720 Posts
Which is why I said "if your set on getting an intake". And the debate btw CAI and SRI can go on for days. SRI and peoples choice to use them is "Beyond you" :confused: You can't comprehend why people install them???
No, why would anyone want to pull hot air from the engine bay? Why would anyone want to do this when the factory intake system already pulls air from outside the engine bay? Why would anyone want to do this when there are plenty of aftermarket intakes that pull cold air from outside the engine bay? I guess people think hot air is better for making power??? Is that really that hard of a concept to grasp?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts