ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the (correct) pads sent back to me so I got around to installing all four corners of my brakes now....only question is my front pads are squeeling/whistling...is this because I put those supposed anti-squeel plates back on the new pads? I left those plates off the back and I'm almost positive they're not the noise. I also put on that spray brake silencer on the backs of the pads before I put them on too.

So far so good otherwise, car definitely feels like it grips better with the new pads and I don't feel nearly as much fading on the highway. ;) I'll post up pics eventually, if anyone noticed in my previous pics I installed the rotors backwards, I wasn't really paying attention since they weren't staying on, oh well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

Anyone think I should take out the plates on the front pads to see if that gets rid of the squeel/whistle? Help brake experts, this is loud/obnoxious!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Actually those two shims that go on the pads are their to decrease noise. You could try taking them off, but most likely you will have more noises.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Is the squealing occuring while you're just driving around or while you're braking? What pads are you using? Did you clean or grease the caliper pins? Did you spray on the anti squeal between the pads and the plates, between the plates, on the back side of the plate that contacts the caliper?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KanosWRX said:
Actually those two shims that go on the pads are their to decrease noise. You could try taking them off, but most likely you will have more noises.
Yeah I know and I put that spray on stuff to make it "adhere" to each other and then when I took them off to check them there was a dry spot on one of the pistons...so I thought that might have been the problem.

As for pads I have Axxis Ultimates in the back and StopTech street performance pads up front (the squeel sounds like its from the front).

Also the sound comes after the pads get nice and warm (after I've been driving around for a little and braking) and then I do either a higher speed stop (something like 60mph to 30mph) occasionally and sometimes when I'm coming to a very slow stop...but its not "all the time" seems its only certain stops do it, its hard to explain but I can't really duplicate the sounds on command, I basically have to drive around and wait for them to squeel/whistle.

Thanks for all the responses btw, really need to get this taken care of!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bizump again.

Ok, I took off those anti-squeel plates off the front pads and no noise...they're pretty thrashed so I'm guessing they weren't able to do their job anymore..

But and interesting side note...my e-brake is binding. Anyone else have this problem? Or maybe know how to fix it? StopTech hasn't responded to my e-mail yet but if I let the car sit with the e-brake on for extended periods of time when I release I get a huge thud and it was so bad one time that my felt like it didn't want to roll out of the driveway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts