Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to adjusting the striker on the trunk release
on the weekend and wow what a difference I can shut it with one finger now instead of having to slam it :D

just letting anyone new know about this wonderfull fix just loosen the 2 12mm bolts and move the striker up as far as it will go then lower it about 2 or 3mm again then re-tighten the bolts. check the trunk shuts flush with the body all should be good and it'll be all nice and easy to close

I can't remember who did this first but thanks to them for figuring it out :cool:

·
Registered
594 Posts
aaronwillen said:
hmmm my trunk shuts so lightly i can light blow on it and it will shut. Is this a common problem?
i was thinking the same thing.:confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I you guys talking about trunk closes without any resistance or latches really easy. I have that trunk closes really easy but doesn't latch easily and yeah wombat I was just thinking the samething because I just adjusted mine last nite too. I decided to do it because at the grocery store when I released it from inside I thought that if you have to put that much effort into it that little plastic lever won't last very long but it is all better now.
As far as it falling down real easy if you have a spoiler I think your tension bars should be black and about 1/4 inch thick. My dealer installed mine like I think most and it took forever because they couldn't get the new tension bars in I finally said throw in the trunk I have to go.

Tony

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can't open my trunk at all guys. Can ya'll help me out?

·
Registered
635 Posts
b4437- check the trunk latch, and make sure its not set on the valet switch, one of the settings will only allow you to open it with key

·
Registered
167 Posts
whenever i go to the drag strip or to a place where they check your trunk (certain hotels near disney) they always think my trunk is broken since you have to slam it so hard to shut it. ill be trying the fix soon :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did this fix a few months back. I had to slam it, almost too hard that i was worried about the spoiler breaking. But now I can close it with one finger. It latches so easy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
my trunk wouldnt close either, so i kept insisting. Turns out i had to push the trunk down (even though it was already shut completly) and then i tried the lever by the drivers seat :) Fixed the problem!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i just did it, it worked great

i just moved it up all the way, i didnt bring it back down at all. there's no trunk gap or anything and the trunk shuts like it should

this is how they should come from the dealerships, WTF is subaru doing?

·
Registered
167 Posts
aaronwillen said:
hmmm my trunk shuts so lightly i can light blow on it and it will shut. Is this a common problem?
maybe you have the opposite problem. if you don't like it the way it is try adjusting the trunk's latch bolts so they are lower. the way i noticed it is the higher it is, the easier the latch can attach to it when you close it.

so if it's too easy to close, try lowering it so the latch has to have some force to shut it (not too much or you'll end up like most of us were)

·
Registered
310 Posts
RexMobbin' said:
b4437- check the trunk latch, and make sure its not set on the valet switch, one of the settings will only allow you to open it with key
I can't even open it with my key.:mad:

·
Registered
369 Posts
b4437 said:
I can't even open it with my key.:mad:
If you've got really long arms or a stout pole, maybe you can reach in through the pass-through hatch and grab the emergency release?

Please, no comments about stout poles, guys. This is serious. :p

Good luck!

Josh

·
Registered
310 Posts
dielectric said:
If you've got really long arms or a stout pole, maybe you can reach in through the pass-through hatch and grab the emergency release?

Please, no comments about stout poles, guys. This is serious. :p

Good luck!

Josh
where is the emergency release? It's really dark in there.:mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same problem, I couldnt even open it with the key too! All you have to do is go to your trunk, apply force down (even though its closed) do this a couple of times, remember not to do this on the wing! This should pop everything back into place, try your key! I hoped this worked for you as it did for me! Also make sure the switch for vallet is in the correct possition.

·
Registered
369 Posts
b4437 said:
where is the emergency release? It's really dark in there.:mad:
It's to the passenger side of the latch. If you shine a flashlight in there for a minute or so, it'll charge up and glow-in-the-dark. Kinda cool.

Josh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts