ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2015 STI Limited with 49,000 miles. I knew going into it some modifications had been done but not sure exactly what. Went to Subaru had a health check up done and to make sure it was running a tune and not running a base stock and whether or not I should keep it. The mechanics told me the work was high end work done they didn't skimp on parts, it was definitely running a tune because in their words "it wouldnt even run without one and it would be throwing CELs all over" and they also said I should keep it. Which all these are well and good but what I need to know is. Can I get it re-tuned with my new AP at a pro tuner despite not know exactly what mods have been done? I know a lot of them (injectors, turbo, intake, exhaust, clutch, upgraded fueling system, among other things) but of course I dont know all of it and finding the previous owner has been next to impossible as it was repossessed. I want a retune so I can actually track what's going on. It's nice knowing it has a tune and it runs fantastic and is pretty powerful but for obvious reasons I'd like my own tune. I emailed a tuner down in Denver but wont have a reply until Monday morning (hopefully). I was hoping they'd be able to help me out on the day of the tune. And any advice on finding the previous owner? Considering the situation idk even if I did find them if they would even talk to me seeing as how it was taken back by the bank. I love this car and I want to take care of it, i dont race it everywhere as i want it to last and dont plan on tracking it.

·
Super Modulator
19,285 Posts
Take a picture of the engine bay and post here.

If the ECU was previously mapped, there are really only three mainstream options that would have been used:
1. OpenECU (unlikely since the support for the VA definitions is slim)
2. ECUtek
3. Cobb AP

In the case of both the ECUtek and the Cobb AP, both options will lock the ECU against further modification. This means that if the Cobb AP was not included with the sale of the car OR the tuner is not responding to inquiry, the ECU will be locked and you will NOT be able to tune with your new AP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been reading all it takes is an unmarried ECU to be plugged in and it will reflash and (unmarry) the ecu from multiple people. I also emailed Cobb

·
Master linguitist
10,038 Posts
I've been reading all it takes is an unmarried ECU to be plugged in and it will reflash and (unmarry) the ecu from multiple people. I also emailed Cobb
So your plan is to buy a new ECU? A new accessport won't flash an ECU flashed by a different accessport.

I couldn't use my buddies to flash mine back to stock even if his ap was unmarried.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read that it flashed it back to stock if you choose to marry it. I meant accessport not ECU. A bunch of people on the forums have even said that's all it takes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry if I'm not being clear so let me re ask in a better way. I'm solely asking if a unmarried AP can be married to a married ECU, not to track current tune but to flash it to stock tune (hell no I'm not going to do that considering mods just for when I do get it tuned on a dyno knowing that would be useful) I've heard a bunch of people saying that's all you need, even a guy from Cobb commented that you can on a forum post on a similar subject.

·
Super Modulator
19,285 Posts
Call Cobb and confirm.

It used to be that if you bought an AP and there was one that was married to the ECU and missing, you had to send your ECU into Cobb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did email them this morning. They said I could flash it to stock or with a new tune with a new AP because they do not lock ECUs. However I would lose my current map so obviously I'm gonna wait till I can get it on a dyno next month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
Nway0455
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing