Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hope I'm losing my mind, but it feels like my 2002 wrx is losing boost. I noticed it today around 2pm. I started at my wastegate control arm and it is kinda rusty and didnt want to move much. I hit it with some PB Blaster and now I can move it back and forth. But it still feels sluggish where it used to put me back in the seat a bit. Wondering where you guys suggest me starting to hunt down the problem? Vacuum hoses look ok. You think UP Pipe? Or could it still be the wastegate? (First turbo car owner freaking out here)

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Do you have a way to monitor the boost pressure?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not at the moment. I got the car a little less than a month ago. Just noticed today though that I can actually hear the leak from inside the cab. Going to have my bro rev it to boost and listen and try to find it when he gets home.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Not at the moment. I got the car a little less than a month ago. Just noticed today though that I can actually hear the leak from inside the cab. Going to have my bro rev it to boost and listen and try to find it when he gets home.
Find a way to borrow an OBDII scanner and we can help you with datalogging.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Please don't start messing around with the wastegate arm for no reason. It was set the way it is for a reason. If the car isn't running right, there is a reason, and it isn't likely that the wastegate arm somehow moved out of the blue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please don't start messing around with the wastegate arm for no reason. It was set the way it is for a reason. If the car isn't running right, there is a reason, and it isn't likely that the wastegate arm somehow moved out of the blue.

I didn't move it (like disconnect it) I simply made sure that it wasn't stuck in the open position

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I try not to do anything to my cars that I don't understand. While I understand the basic concepts of a turbo, I dont know the little intricacies just yet so I wouldn't attempt that without an experienced persons help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FOUND THE LEAK! One of the connectors was brittle and had split. Definitely getting all new hoses and connectors now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts