Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just an FYI for all of the christians in an uproar...

In 325 A.D the Roman Catholic church got really pissed off when Arius returned from the Council of Nicene and explained that Constantine (leader of Rome) was head of the council.

Constantine made a decisions on what the church was going to believe. I don't think any religious person wants to believe what a govt. or state official says you have to believe. Anything that advertises a religion or key ideas of a religion is endorsing that religion. And just as the Romans thought, any endorsement would make the religion and whatever it was attached too very messy and biased towards both parties.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i'm psyched. now it's time to get GOD off the currency.

talk about a double standard. some freedom we got there.

"we advocate freedom of all realigions, but you have to obey GOD none the less"

why should hindu and islamic children have to pledge to anything under god?

i think it just dilutes the purpose of the pledge.

dR

·
Registered
131 Posts
Penguinking said:
i think we have to ban God from ClubWRX ;)
:D :D

Hey, do you think the new dollar bill will look even more or less like monopoly money?

·
895 Posts
i'm thinking more along the lines of the currency that was made in the movie street fighter, where all the bad guys gave a thumbs sideways instead of a thumbs up :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Penguinking said:
i'm thinking more along the lines of the currency that was made in the movie street fighter, where all the bad guys gave a thumbs sideways instead of a thumbs up :rolleyes:
OMFG that movie was so funny LOL

Hmmm...in "Godspeed" we trust?

Anyway, this will be interesting how the Supreme Court rules on this.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
In the 8th grade I had a "Social Studies" teacher that didn't feel that God belonged in school, so he would simply omit, "under God" from the pledge every morning. Someone finally asked him about it and he gave the above explaination. Mr. Davis, you were ahead of your time!

dark_rex, Hindu and Islamic children believe in God too. Just not the same one that Christians and Jews believe in.

I think the main constituants that brought this about are the atheists, which make up ~10% of this country's population. I was listening to the radio this morning (Y-100, 100.3FM) and an aethiest called in to voice his opinion. He said atheists have been alienated for years by both state and federal gov't and he quoted former President Bush (in an interview before he was elected) saying that he doesn't feel that atheists are citizens since we are "one nation under God." :eek: That's freaking horrible.

I'm still undecided about this whole issue, since I can clearly see both sides of the argument, but I know I'll still be saying "under God" when I say my pledge.

-Jim

·
895 Posts
i don't believe in all this patriotism wave the flag join the army red white & blue pledge of allegiance junk, but in light of recent events, in order to stay politically correct ( ie not get the sh!t punched out of me) i'll be including "under god" in the pledge

·
Registered
131 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
dark_rex, Hindu and Islamic children believe in God too. Just not the same one that Christians and Jews believe in.
Actually, Islamic Muslims believe in the same God, Gabriel came to Muhammad and told him he was the last and greatest prophet.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Our school stopped saying it altogether when I was in 4th grade. In a country that was founded "Under God" how can that ever change? That's just the way it's always been since the beginning of this great country. That's why it' so great. ;)

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
:rolleyes:

yes Jim, thank you for that. it's a different god. so why should they worship this one? you're saying they should be okay with it becasue we use the same name for our deities? that makes no sense. the god in the pledge, and on our currency is the one they are pledging under. not their own.

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
dark_rex said:
yes Jim, thank you for that. it's a different god. so why should they worship this one? you're saying they should be okay with it becasue we use the same name for our deities? that makes no sense. the god in the pledge, and on our currency is the one they are pledging under. not their own.

dR
Why can't it be their own god? You've lost me.

Surely this country was founded by christians, but can't the meaning of "under God" evolve to represent all of our (non-atheist) citizens?

-Jim

·
895 Posts
separation between church and state. the government can neither endorse nor reject religion. it must remain neutral. which is why the circuit court ruled that "under god" is an endorsement of religion (ie the belief or support of )

well anyway the decision only affects the western states that are under its jurisdiction. i know cali, oregon, washington, nevada, idaho, alaska, hawaiii, i dunno who else got hit.

but for us texans, we're still gonna hafta say "under god"....for now, taht is

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
my company's home office is in Irving, and to get hired here, there were all sorts of religious questions i had to answer.

it so different down in TX from up here in MA.

Jim,
I don't know, but to tell you the truth, in my heart, in my brain, in my deepest region of feeling, i KNOW that religion has no place on our currency, or in our national belief system. religion involved with politics WITHOUT FAIL brings death, suffering, poverty, crime, and loss/depletion of civilization and society. do i need to start stating historic (and present!) examples of how all the wars and major world crisis's (sp?) were started? too many were religious based, and for what ends?

look at the foolishness in the middle east, and how the radical islamic and zionistic peoples kill each other over what should be tenets for life. it's rediculous. lose this faith crap, and concentrate on LIFE, not some mythical afterlife and the eternal paradise or pain that supposedly comes with it.

the day this world is rid of religion, is the first day we will be on the road to progress, and peacful coexistance. right now, religion concentrates too much on what is hard fast fact, with no proof. this just exemplifies differences in people, rather than finding common ideas of right and wrong. when we are common, and realize we are the same, we will make progress, religion holds us back.

dR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts