Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: This accident happened right in front of my apartment. I heard the crash/explosion which is nothing new to this strip of road. Really a horrible and tragic story. This is the first time I have heard about it in a while.

Ricers galore racing up and down this strip of Hillsborough Ave here in Tampa. The speed limit is 50 - 55 mph in this area, but it isn't uncommon to see cars racing by at 90+ in RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. About 6 months ago, I was coming home late and saw another street racing accident. A riced CRX ran off the road and was perched on top of an eight foot concrete fence. Somehow, he didn't knock the fence over and the mangled car was balancing on the fence. This crap happens all the time

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Werd, Jim. When you get a license, you're entering into an agreement to act responsibly, because you're really taking the lives of those around you into your hands. This guy was NINETEEN YEARS OLD when he did this. I mean, we all remember what it's like to be young and dumb, but by the age of 19, you should know better. And while the lady did pull out in front of him, it was reasonable for her to expect oncoming traffic to be going much slower than he was going. I believe I'd be out for blood, but, I guess four years mellowed the victim's husband out some. It's good that they're going to work together to get kids to slow down, but it might have had a little more impact if the kid showed up to speak a bright orange jumpsuit with a number stenciled on it.

I wonder how much it would have changed things if the EXACT same things had happened, but the kid had been just a little over the blood-alcohol limit? Or if he'd been in an expensive sports car instead of a rental Intrepid? Would forgiveness have come as easy then?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Over the blood alc. limit - definitly not. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
907 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
It's quite remarkable of this man to forgive the guy that killed his wife and daughter. I don't know if I could be that forgiving.

-Jim
I agree...I would do some unspeakable acts of evil upon that ricer..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nexus6 said:

I agree...I would do some unspeakable acts of evil upon that ricer..
so what makes him a ricer?

did you read the story?

And I agree that, he should have went to prison, but I also think the embarassment he has to face, by apologizing to the man's two son's, is going to be the hardest thing for him to do. And he has to go around with the dad, and promote safe driving and stuff.

just that alone, and the fact that he has to live with this the rest of life, is a pretty severe punishment aleady.

·
1,377 Posts
Yeah, something similar happened up my way. A guy driving drunk killed a girl from my Highschool. His payment wasn't jail time or anything like that. He had to write a check for $1 every month or week (I forget which) like 10 years or more.. to the parents. The parents never cashed the checks. But just knowing he had to have a constant reminder was all they wanted. He did have to do 'classes' on not drinking and driving, etc. But apparently the checks killed him... it was the worst thing, having to write a check out knowing exactly what he had done and why he had to write it out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
beastcivic said:
Yeah, something similar happened up my way. A guy driving drunk killed a girl from my Highschool. His payment wasn't jail time or anything like that. He had to write a check for $1 every month or week (I forget which) like 10 years or more.. to the parents. The parents never cashed the checks. But just knowing he had to have a constant reminder was all they wanted. He did have to do 'classes' on not drinking and driving, etc. But apparently the checks killed him... it was the worst thing, having to write a check out knowing exactly what he had done and why he had to write it out.
That's not forgiveness.

·
Registered
166 Posts
vizor said:

Nor does he deserve any.

But it is quite reasonable.
Well, I have a different view on the subject, but I'm probably in the minority.

·
Registered
15 Posts
gryphon said:

Well, I have a different view on the subject, but I'm probably in the minority.
Yep, agree to disagree and all that.

Bush and Ashcroft haven't made opinions illegal ... yet.

·
1,377 Posts
Vizor, is that the aftermarket mud kit you have on your car. =)

·
Registered
907 Posts
kawshon2 said:

so what makes him a ricer?

did you read the story?

And I agree that, he should have went to prison, but I also think the embarassment he has to face, by apologizing to the man's two son's, is going to be the hardest thing for him to do. And he has to go around with the dad, and promote safe driving and stuff.

just that alone, and the fact that he has to live with this the rest of life, is a pretty severe punishment aleady.
Sorry, I meant racer not ricer...

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Vizor - sweet picture!!!

Being reminded of it everyday by writing a check is bad, but sitting jail you are being reminded of it every day as well

·
Registered
424 Posts
At first I was on the Father's side just after reading the Headline. Being a husband and father, I could identify with the beginning of the story and was telling myself that I don't think I could forgive.

HOWEVER...after reading the WHOLE story, it turns out the CHP found the Wife responsible. I tend to agree on this as she pulled out into traffic and it wasn't her right-of-way. The way I see it is this...reguardless of how FAST the kid was driving on the road, it is HIS right-of-way and she took it. I almost look at that as "She shoulda known better." I've had this identicle thing happen to me many times when someone punches it out trying to beat you reguardless of whether you have the right of way. In fact, my Mitsu 3000GT was totaled in this exact way...I was doing 40 in a 25 and some lady TRIED to do a U-Turn in front of me even though it was a double-yellow and my right-of-way. The accident TOTALED both of our cars. To make a long story short, I've been PISSED at here since the accident. Even if I wasn't speeding, she made the illegal U-turn. We were both doing something illegal, however she crossed my path...not the other way around. The situation in the article is similar...they were both breaking the law, except that SHE crossed HIS path...not the other way around.

While he was excessively speeding, and the fact they were both involved in this, means he will have much guilt over this incident anyway. If he would have died in the accident and the WIFE and kid lived, they SHOULD have put HER in JAIL though, cause she was MORE in the wrong.

Maybe I'll get flamed, but according to law, she IS more at fault than him.

·
1,377 Posts
Well in VA if you're found to be speeding you've give up all rights to "the right of way". So I look at it as an even playing field then. So I'd still say it was his fault.

Imagine you're trying to pull out of a shopping center parking lot, you look left, no cars except for one WAY back there. Little do you know it's doing 120mph and will be on your butt in about 3-4 seconds. So you and your child in the back of the car start to pull out (slowly as to not shake the kid around in the car seat) and BAM! You get rear ended by the person in the Camaro (or whatever car you'd like to put in it's place) that was doing 120, and is now doing about 30 from the reduction in speed from smashing into your car.

Not saying I haven't ever. or will never in the future, street race. But I do it in places that won't be filled with people and have the chance of something out of my control from happening, such as the event in the article.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Back in the early 90's I had a 1978 Cordoba (with 318 Leanburn LOL). It was a great car. Very worn out looking, a little banged up, the "Corinthian" leather was worn to ****, but it was still a fast car (for a two barrel).

I take this car in to have a mechanic buddy of mine take a spin with me in my new (used) car. He's driving. We are going around 50 in a 45. I note as the passenger a car ahead on the right getting ready pull out. Just as we get right on top of her, we literally ended up almost on top of her. She pulled out with no time to stop. I don't know how she couldn't have seen, but she must not have. Best car I owned for under $500, and also the one I owned the shortest.

You need to be able to stop safely for the speed zone, but sometimes people just don't watch what they are doing. I'm sure this woman made her best effort though...he was going to damn fast.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I did say that they were BOTH breaking the law...so they were on a somewhat 'even playing field'. However, like I said before, since it was his right of way, he (according to the law) shouldn't have to avoid/slow for someone turning into his lane. I know excessive speeding makes this more debatable, but the law still applies...that is why the CHP marked it as HER fault.

Also, I don't know about you, but when I don't have the right-of-way and am pulling out, THAT is the EXACT reason why you look at oncomming traffic TWICE in each direction. The first glance will tell you position, the second glance will tell you their speed. That is the LADY's responsibility to do that, and she didn't, instead, she looked once, and took fate that she wouldn't cut the kid off. This is NOT an excuse since the fact is...she STILL cut him off. Like I said,"she should've known better". A second glance would've indicated to her that he covered ALOT of ground in a short time, thus must be traveling FAST.

How many times have you been driving in traffic in say the carpool lane doing 60mph, when some bozo only looks once and pulls into your lane doing 5mph because he is trying to get out of the traffic. He only looked once because he though you were WAY back there, but didn't bother looking again to judge your speed at 12 times what his speed was. Is that YOUR fault...or HIS?

SCALED DOWN SITUATION:
This is like a situation that happens all the time around town on a SMALL scale. I'm waiting at a light that is about to turn green and am in the right hand lane going staight through the intersection. It never fails that some moron will come up from the cross street and want to make a right turn on red (which is legal in CA) before my light turns green. The law does not put a limit on how fast you can accelerate up to the speed limit. Say the guy stops and looks, then goes to make his right turn on red just as my light turns green, and I take off from my light doing a 5K RPM dump and and have to SLAM on my brakes because he is starting to make the right turn in front of me. The LAW says he cut me off. Just because he didn't THINK that I was going to be on his butt that fast doesn't mean that he is free of fault.

Don't get me wrong on this, it is a sad situation that I hope I am NEVER on either side of it. I sympathize for the Husband as well, since reguardless of what the LAW said, I would probably still hold it against the kid for a long time. And I don't think I could forgive, but I don't know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
beastcivic said:
Vizor, is that the aftermarket mud kit you have on your car. =)
Yeah, it's the Pompeii Type R Mud Power Kit. It says right here on the box (it's a mix you make in a bucket) that the "lumpy texture disrupts the laminar airflow across the front of the car, like what golfball dimples do. The difference is a decreased coefficient of drag, and higher top end. It's like adding 50HP!!" :eek:

---

On a serious note, I've been thinking about this accident. Whle I salute the husband for his infinite compassion, something still bugs me -- maybe just not enough information about the accident. The fault is directly shared between the woman pulling out in front of traffic, and the other driver going so fast. Of course, had he not been going so fast their deaths may not have occurred, and similarly, had she not pulled out their deaths would certainly not have occurred. From what I read, this is simply an accident caused by two careless actions. I hope the husband-racer team gets their message out to more people there; it would be a shame for the wife's and kid's deaths to not change anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts