Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a fast attack nuclear submarine, the USS Jacksonville, SSN 699...if anyone has ever been on one of those, tell me what your impression was, because after about 25 minutes I had so much more respect for anyone who could stand to live in that thing for more than a week. Also, if anyone hasn't been on one of them, go down to your local naval submarine base and try to take a tour (yeah right). It is incredibly bad ass though that I can now say, "yeah, I've been on a nuclear submarine, been there, done that..."

:D

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
:eek:
Tim, you never cease to amaze me

-Josh

*drools*

·
Registered
61 Posts
I work on 688's everyday.

and yeah the first time I went on a 688 I was pretty blown away.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
It is incredibly bad ass though that I can now say, "yeah, I've been on a nuclear submarine, been there, done that..."

:D
you for got "and got the t-shirt" but seriously congrats that's awesome. The closest i got to any Naval ship or submarine was on old war ships for cruises and what not

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ive got a good friend who pilots those subs, wonder if he could get me a tour...

·
Registered
103 Posts
you know what they say about sub sailors:
150 men go down, 75 couples come up.
Spent 4 years on the uss NYC (ssn 696) killin' the Russians with Reaganomics. stationed out of Pearl harbor. livin' on zulu time in the north Pac.
- NOW I'VE BEEN THERE DONE THAT, BOY!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Tim, you just got one-upped!

0wn3d.

-Josh

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Jazz said:
Spent 4 years on the uss NYC (ssn 696) killin' the Russians with Reaganomics. stationed out of Pearl harbor. livin' on zulu time in the north Pac.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Jazz said:
What if there is a odd number of boys and girls :eek:
Whats a reaganmoics?

ScoobySteve, :D I just heard that, not sure if its true. I post to please ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
WRX>MUSTANG said:

What if there is a odd number of boys and girls :eek:
Whats a reaganmoics?

ScoobySteve, :D I just heard that, not sure if its true. I post to please ;)
True, WRX > MUSTANG, I do assure you. ;) I'll stay away from the boy / girl thing, but as you're a young guy, I'm assuming that you truly don't know what is Reaganomics, at least in the context mentioned by Jazz.

In the narrow sense, Reaganomics was Ronald Reagan's philosophy of economic prosperity through tax cuts and trickle-down, i.e. if the rich do well, so will the rest of us, "a rising tide lifts all boats" etc. In the sense that Jazz posted it, I think he was alluding to Reagan's policy of defeating the Evil Empire / aka Soviet Union through a strong show of US resolve and showing those Russkies no matter what they did, we could outspend 'em with one hand tied behind our backs. Worked too. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ive been on a sub. It wasn't a attack sub but a missle sub. (I know i'm clueless when it comes to navy ships so I can't give you much info) It was pretty cool, we went through the seamens (hehe) training rooms and saw where they learned to fix leaks ( wet seamen, hehe). Then they took us on the sub. I touched one of the missle tubes. (it was hard and I bet seamen have touched the missle shaft. hehe) I think there were 10 or so nukes in that boat. This was at subbase Bangor (hehe) Washington.

It was pretty cool!

(lame attempt at humor)

[email protected] :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was wondering if anyone would know what I was talking about with the Reaganomics comment. good definition fellow old timer steve.
I spent a total of six years in the Navy from 83-89. the first two were training in nuke power operations. the remaining four were on the uss NYC. I've covered the waters from Hawaii to Adak Alaska and points west. no friendly ports there.
The Navy fashioned me into the man I am today. 'm proud of my service.
Tim, I wish you the best luck with your training and the time you spend in the service.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jazz said:
I was wondering if anyone would know what I was talking about with the Reaganomics comment. good definition fellow old timer steve.
I spent a total of six years in the Navy from 83-89. the first two were training in nuke power operations. the remaining four were on the uss NYC. I've covered the waters from Hawaii to Adak Alaska and points west. no friendly ports there.
The Navy fashioned me into the man I am today. 'm proud of my service.
Tim, I wish you the best luck with your training and the time you spend in the service.
Thanks, and dittos, Jazz. I don't regret my service for a moment either.

US Army 1970-1973
Vietnam '70-'71, 11th Armored Cavalry

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's amazing how all the techinical minds who understand such amazing machines as submarines also flock to the WRX...makes you wonder about the Rex:D

Also, we need to take WRX>MUSTANG to a sex ed/common sense class and get him some learnin' !!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just have to say thank you to those guys that served time in the military! You guys are truly awesome to me. My dad flew night missions in Vietnam for the airforce, and he's now a US Marshal, my brother and his wife were both in the Airforce, my brother was in the reserves but was put back to active status after 9/11. You guys kick ass!!:D I have so much respect for those that go into the military, I just wish I could express it better! :)

·
1,263 Posts
10 years and counting in the Royal Australian Air Force. At least another 3, maybe 7 to go.

Just for the record - because it gets no coverage here. There are over 570 Australian forces personnel deployed in direct support of OP Enduring Freedom. incl 180 Special Forces. I know it doesn't seem like heaps, but when you consider that we are only 19 million people. It is a big commitment for us.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts