Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, definitely a family man. Wife, 4 kids, house and the whole shebang. It's been years since I've modded or tuned (Hondata) and this being the first turbo car I will be modifying, I wanted to get some information and suggestions. Suspension is pretty simple so I won't both with the specifics, but it will be coilovers not lowered more than maybe 1.25" with sway bars, tower braces, and maybe wheel spacers (5mm)

It's the engine that I'm most concerned about, because this will be something that I drive every day to meet clients for the firm I work for, and with the stop and go traffic of I95 in PA I want something reliable but something I can also drive spiritedly.

I have heard the whole debate on TMIC and FMIC, that an FMIC has a bit less throttle response to it, but I think the biggest question is how much? Is it something noticeable, will it lug more, or is it more of like milliseconds? (Note: Definitely upgraded IC piping as well)

Intake: Duh, that's a given.

Exhaust: This is where the challenge comes in. I want something that has increased flow, but I don't want annoying drone or something super loud, breathability is my main priority.

ECU: Cobb,

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Wheel spacers are 100% unsafe. They also mess with steering geometry.
Coilovers are going to be the opposite of family man modifications. They tend to be much harsher, transfer a lot of road noise to the chassis and cabin, and unless you spend big money perform worse than the factory suspension.

As far as engine modifications, the front mount isn't that beneficial to a daily driver, just get a good top mount. You'll see more heat soak, but day to day you won't really feel much. Front mounts are big, require a ton of piping and have to remove safety equipment from your car to be installed. That's not ideal.

There are a lot of options for exhausts, I'm partial to Corsa. With the stock resonator it doesn't drone much. You have to be wary of how the piping is run because there are a few that will drag on the smallest bumps if you lower the car at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the feedback on that! I did have a few follow-up questions (sorry if I write this way, being an auditor will do that!)

My experience with coilovers wasn't too terrible, granted my kids were younger at the time, and the youngest ones now are 11 and 7. It's probably been about 10 years or less since I've had my car, so if lowering springs have really come up, I may look into those.

I agree on the FMIC and safety concerns. I've seen lots of reviews where bumpers and braces are removed and I am not wanting that. I've also read that the BPV instead of a BOV is more ideal as well. I don't need to have the cool sounds, it's not a deal breaker for me. A good intake and exhaust setup will be enough.

I'll have to do some research on the Corsa, but it looks promising, and looks almost stock. I don't want super flashy, or super loud, and looks like it fits the bill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts