Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FWIW - the new Falken Azenis RS tires are becoming the choice for the SCCA STS (and soon to be STX - made for the WRX!) AutoX crowd. Treadwear of 200, agressive tread pattern (solid blocks vs flimsy "V" or "Y" that squirm under hard cornering), and IS CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!

Falken Azenis Specs

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, I have 2 friends running 2.5 RS's in STS class using these tires... they seem to do great! And they are cheap!

I was actually going to get a set for mine, but I think I'm going to go with Auto-x tires instead... Like a Kumho VictoRacer or Hoosier or something.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been debating myself between these and the Kumho 712's. The Kumho's are around $10 less per tire but the Falken's have that mean tread pattern and a lower tread wear number. Decisions, decisions.....

Shawn

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the 712's, I think they are pretty decent... but they suck for auto-xing...... don't get me wrong, they are much better than stock tires, but they still slide a lot....

I'd say for a street tire & rain tire, I'm happy with the Kumho's, but if you plan on auto-xing, spend the extra $10 on the Azenis... you will be happier.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the Azenis is the ticket and will have them on the WRX when I order it.

But right now I have the Kumho 711 on my Coupe. I had BFG KD's on all 4 corners, but the rears (245/40/17) are shot again - corded on the inner sidewall. At near $300 a tire, I just can't do it! So I was going to get the AZ, but they are not in my size (nor the 711), so was going to get the 255. No AZ yet in that, so then the Kumho 712 seemed the choice. But looking at its tread, I am not that impressed - and with the KD's still on the front, I wanted something similar. That is where the Kumho 711 comes in. More of a traditional tread pattern, does not look like a M+S tire (the 712 kinda does), closer to the KD tread pattern, and is a tw of 260 - lower than the 712. Even in a 255/40/17 tire, it only cost me $103 a tire! And you know what? IT STICKS! The past week, even in the rain these last few days, I am impressed! So I'd suggest if you didn't want the AZ tires, go for the 711 over the 712.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Are the Azenis really that good? What about for street use? The mean tread patter seems like its' going to cause some slipping and sliding in the rain. My stock tires are really dead right now and I don't know whether I should get new lightweight 16 or 17" rims or just toss on a new set of tires on my stocks. I am satisfied with the weight of the stock tires but they seem a little narrow. Either way I gotta sell my Dronells before buying anything else right now... interested anyone?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not tried the Azenis RS tires, but I have heard mostly good things about them.

The Kumhos on the other hand.... I am never going to buy another set. I hate those tires with a passion. My opinion is put in some extra money and get a really good tire. The new Bridgestone SO3 PP is a great tire and is still not nearly as expensive as the old SO2. They last a long time, are quiet, and grip like nothing else in the wet or the dry.

I have come to the conclusion (recently) that you really do have alot riding on your tires, and they are definitly worth putting some extra money into.... although I would consider the Azenis RS if I was looking for a track tire... or something to tear up on the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts