Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in for a VA emissions test today and failed!!!
My car has 28k miles, an Ingen CAI and a HKS BOV.
It had failed the idle part of the test. I can see carbon
around the tips of the exaust pipe. Has anyone encountered this
and do you thik new spark plugs will do the trick? My car was totally warmed up and I did some high speed on the way to the station.

Thanks in Advance;
Plaubel

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try doing a search for platinum's posting about how he passed the test with lower octane gas and some additives (I cannot remember).
I'm very interested in your results since your car is nearly stock and I'm also in N.VA...note that my car is pretty modified, which may cause me more difficulties.

·
Registered
559 Posts
All8up said:
Try doing a search for platinum's posting about how he passed the test with lower octane gas and some additives (I cannot remember).
I'm very interested in your results since your car is nearly stock and I'm also in N.VA...note that my car is pretty modified, which may cause me more difficulties.
I am taking my car to emission testing this week,,,and i have SUS, full catless and UTEC.
I think here in Brazil its not so strict as its there in USA..
do you think i will have problems?
what can i do to solve the problem so i can pass emissions?
thanks
tuca

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Would help if you posted what other exhaust mods you had.

·
Registered
559 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Would help if you posted what other exhaust mods you had.
If this Q was for me,,,here we go.
Scooby Sport uppipe,downpipe,race mid-pipe,muffler.
Totally catless.
And i have a Blitz SUS air filter too.
thanks
tuca

·
Registered
577 Posts
tuca33 said:
If this Q was for me,,,here we go.
Scooby Sport uppipe,downpipe,race mid-pipe,muffler.
Totally catless.
And i have a Blitz SUS air filter too.
thanks
tuca

Bwahahahahaa!! You are totally catless, and you expect to pass an emissions test??:eek: :eek:

I'm sorry, but unless you are payin the tester under the table, I don't think you'll pass! You need to put your stock downpipe back on the car before you go for testing. Also, make sure you drive the car nice and hard before you take it in so that the cats are nice and hot!

·
Registered
559 Posts
No,,here the emission testing is not like in US.
There are cars here that dont have Cats as they are very old,,but they still pass emissions.
I think as my car is new i will be able to pass.
I will try it once.
If i fail i will change only the centre section with a OEM centre section with a cat and i think it will be OK.
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
577 Posts
tuca33 said:
No,,here the emission testing is not like in US.
There are cars here that dont have Cats as they are very old,,but they still pass emissions.
I think as my car is new i will be able to pass.
I will try it once.
If i fail i will change only the centre section with a OEM centre section with a cat and i think it will be OK.
Thanks
Tuca
hmm...up here in Canada, the really old cars don't need emmission testing, but the newer cars are being phased in for testing. If I were you, i would take no chances, and just put your stock downpipe back on.... If everyone without a cat is guaranteed to pass, then why would they have the testing in the first place?

Just my 2 canadian cents....

·
Registered
209 Posts
how did it fail

plaubel:

Did they bother to tell you how it failed, high HC, high CO, high NOx, recent ECU reset, check engine light on etc. --- ?

Have you ever run leaded fuel in the car?
Did you recently put the stock exhaust backon after running without for a long time ??

Its tough to give any suggestions with out that info. Not knowing the type of problem means any suggestions are just wild guesses.

Larry

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm basically a turbo XS stage IV w/ a 20g, TMIC, ported tgv and SAFC for now. I'll have the UTEC when I take it in for the test though. I also plan on puttin on the TurboXS high-flow car for the test as well.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Actually I was wondering if plaubel would list his mods so we could see why he failed. Since I am in virginia too I am very interested.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kanos, he did list his mods and he's NEARLY STOCK!! N. VA emissions must be really strict.

plaubel
My car has 28k miles, an Ingen CAI and a HKS BOV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plaubel's Emission test results

HC ppm IDLE LIMIT 110 RESULT 124 FAIL
2500 RPM 110 RESULT 31 PASS

CO % IDLE .75 .04 PASS
2500 .75 0 PASS

My mods were listed in my first post: INGEN CAI,
HKS BOV. NO EXAUST MODS

It seams to be an idle problem only.

Plaubel

·
Registered
389 Posts
Go back with your stock airbox back on. It's definitely not the BOV. If you still fail, bring the car to Subaru.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ah ok, my bad. But yeah I don't see how you can fail with just a CAI, you think if anything it would lean out the car which would help emissions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If the BOV is leaking AT ALL it will probably fail you because it will screw up your MAF readings. Honestly, how hard is it to swap in the stock BOV and intake? Reset the ECU, put some miles on it, and try again.

Back in my integra days I had to pull the entire turbo system and exhaust off and reinstall the stock parts before I even THOUGHT of going near a smog inspection. I had the whole "conversion" process down to under 3 hours!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Re: Plaubel's Emission test results

plaubel said:
My mods were listed in my first post: INGEN CAI,
HKS BOV. NO EXAUST MODS

It seams to be an idle problem only.

Plaubel
Further proof the CAIs mess up your MAF signal. Ever wonder why I don't run one?

Well, you may also be leaking air into your turbo inlet somewhere that the MAF isn't seeing. I would install the stock airbox just to be sure that you'll pass.

OOC, how many miles are on your car and what kind of boost levels do you run?

Try running 89 octane for the test as well. I don't think you have to run any alcohol, as I was basically catless for my emissions test (featured in the thread Mister X posted).

-Jim

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here in Brazil i heard of 4 people who passed emissions lately fully catless with a 50% 50% MIX of gasoline and alcohol.
I dont know if it will work for my WRX.
but it worked for normal VW cars here as a golf fully catless.
is this possible?
thanks
tuca

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.