ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a call from the dealer saying my car will be in Thursday evening!!!!! The only issue i have right now is that he told me it has factory tint and that it's an accessory. I'm currently residing in NH and i know, from this forum, that it's illegal to have tint on the front windows. I've heard in the past that if its factory you can't be fined for it but im reluctant to believe that. I've searched around on this forum to see if anyone else had an issue in NH with factory tint but didn't find anything. If anyone has any info for me it would be greatly appreciated. It will be very hard for me to pass up on this car because of tint but i don't want to be pulled over every week for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess i was assuming factory tint was painted on... Excuse my ignorance lol ;) I appreciate the speedy reply!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Check your local laws, but I know in PA there is no law on how dark you can go. The law states that you must be able to see through either the front, sides, or rear. This technically means that you can tint all windows as long as the windshield is not tinted. I know that people have gotten away with that here in my town where the police are very strict on window tint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, i looked around the forum and seen the tint law. My question was if the same applies to factory tint and that was me assuming it wasn't a film. Thanks for the replies! :) I'll talk with the dealership tomorrow about my concern.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Check your local laws, but I know in PA there is no law on how dark you can go. The law states that you must be able to see through either the front, sides, or rear. This technically means that you can tint all windows as long as the windshield is not tinted. I know that people have gotten away with that here in my town where the police are very strict on window tint.
False.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I just received a call from the dealer saying my car will be in Thursday evening!!!!! The only issue i have right now is that he told me it has factory tint and that it's an accessory. I'm currently residing in NH and i know, from this forum, that it's illegal to have tint on the front windows. I've heard in the past that if its factory you can't be fined for it but im reluctant to believe that. I've searched around on this forum to see if anyone else had an issue in NH with factory tint but didn't find anything. If anyone has any info for me it would be greatly appreciated. It will be very hard for me to pass up on this car because of tint but i don't want to be pulled over every week for it.
OEMs have very stringent laws governing them. They can not sell you a car that is illegal to operate on the roads of the state you bought it in. If the car comes with 'factory tint' you are fine.

If you get pulled over and ticketed for the tint, go to court with the paperwork proving that it is 'factory tint' and it should be dropped. Hell, keep the proof in the glove box if you are worried, that way you can show the LEO it was factory installed.

The way most state tint laws read, if it is factory, it is allowed.

Boy, are you wrong. The PA law is no darker than 70%, which is really not tinting, unless your car came factory. There is an additional provision that you can have darker tint on the back windows if your vehicle is designed for part time off road use http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-sun.pdf

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Boy, are you wrong. The PA law is no darker than 70%, which is really not tinting, unless your car came factory. There is an additional provision that you can have darker tint on the back windows if your vehicle is designed for part time off road use http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-sun.pdf
I found the same form and I still couldnt get a straight answer from anybody on the tint issue even tho its in black and white print. I called the number at the bottom to ask my question. They basically told me that if you add tint even to a vehicle that has no tint its illegal in Pa. I said thats not what this document says and they repeated it to me if its added its illegal. So I asked if its factory your fine and got a yes sir on that. I know the OP isnt adding so I would say good to go.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Demon Wrx has a point, there is a legal limit in Pa.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
So tint no matter what is illegal then in PA technically...

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
According to that page, which is from the dmv website, that is correct sir. I've found other webpages that claim there are ins and outs and that it is not illegal, but none of those are on the dmv website. ;)

Do people still tint? Sure. Do they tint and never have a problem with the cops? Sure. But is it technically illegal? Sure!

It's a personal choice. I still intend to tint my car. I'll stick with around 30-40. I had 40 on my front windows of the acura and never got pulled over for it. I think generally cops aren't going to pull you over for it if they can still see you pretty well through the window. But again, it is illegal so you have to decide whether you want to take the risk or not.

I'll take it because I found as I got older that the glares from headlights behind me in all my mirrors really bothers me. So I could get the dimming rear view and then somehow find someone who could make the side mirrors do the same...or I could just tint the windows.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Hell Tint in NJ is virtually a no-no, especially on the front side windows. My last STI I bought when I was living in NJ, I went to a PA shop and got 30% all around. Looked great. I'll probably do it again soon to this STI.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Yeah, technically, the law states all after market tint is illegal, but you can aftermarket tint up to 70% on your vehicle. However, if you drive say a F150 or explorer with 4x4 ability, for example, and blind all other drivers with your headlights, you are allowed to use 5% tint on the rear windows. Exceptions to ever rule.

PA laws are strange.....for instance, technically speaking, license plate frames are illegal in PA, and are cause enough for police to pull you over. Yes, that flimsy plastic boarder on your plate is against the PA laws.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Mine are tinted as well.....35% driver/pass doors, 15% back doors, wings, and rear

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Yeah, technically, the law states all after market tint is illegal, but you can aftermarket tint up to 70% on your vehicle. However, if you drive say a F150 or explorer with 4x4 ability, for example, and blind all other drivers with your headlights, you are allowed to use 5% tint on the rear windows. Exceptions to ever rule.

PA laws are strange.....for instance, technically speaking, license plate frames are illegal in PA, and are cause enough for police to pull you over. Yes, that flimsy plastic boarder on your plate is against the PA laws.
Who told you license plate frames are illegal?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
A police officer.

A few years back I worked at a convenience store that had 4 or 5 cops that came in every day. A few of them would stop and talk for a while....got into a convo one day with one about things on cars that are technically illegal, but are overlooked which cops can use to pull you over if they suspect you for like DUI or something but have no other reason to stop you. One of those things was license plate frames. It seems to be an interpretation of the 'no license plate obstruction' law....though I could not find it online. Basically, anything that obstructs any portion of the plate info makes it illegal....and it is up to the LEOs interpretation.....like I said, couldn't find PA law online......I did find NC law though....and it states nothing at all can cover any portion of the plate.

http://www.ncleg.net/sessions/2009/bills/house/pdf/h67v6.pdf

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
A police officer.

A few years back I worked at a convenience store that had 4 or 5 cops that came in every day. A few of them would stop and talk for a while....got into a convo one day with one about things on cars that are technically illegal, but are overlooked which cops can use to pull you over if they suspect you for like DUI or something but have no other reason to stop you. One of those things was license plate frames. It seems to be an interpretation of the 'no license plate obstruction' law....though I could not find it online. Basically, anything that obstructs any portion of the plate info makes it illegal....and it is up to the LEOs interpretation.....like I said, couldn't find PA law online......I did find NC law though....and it states nothing at all can cover any portion of the plate.

http://www.ncleg.net/sessions/2009/bills/house/pdf/h67v6.pdf
Please stop giving cops new ideas.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
lol.....Definitely not giving them new idears

Found the actual statute.... subsection 1332(b) of the pa vehicle code....remember, it is open to LEO interpretation, and enforced at their discretion

(b) Obscuring plate.--It is unlawful to display on any vehicle a registration plate which:
(1) is so dirty as to prevent the reading of the number or letters thereon at a reasonable distance;
(2) is obscured in any manner which inhibits the proper operation of an automated red light enforcement system in place pursuant to section 3116 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in first class cities); or
(3) is otherwise illegible at a reasonable distance or is obscured in any manner.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter13.pdf

I did come across a leo forum where a Pitt leo was bragging about how he has used that exact code section to 'get many illegal guns off the streets'....which I can't argue with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts