Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need advice. I have decided on a 2018 wrx premium in gray, 6 speed manual with the recaros. I am considering a factory order.

1) is the STI exhaust from the factory a good idea? The dealer will charge invoice - so the price will be $880. I want a better exhaust note. But nothing over the top. Is it worth the $880? It is attractive because it comes from the factory and has a warranty
2) is the short throw shifter a good idea? The invoice price is ~350. Does anyone have experience with the short throw shifter from the factory. Is it worth the $350?

Thanks for the help and chime in with any other items you think are a most hAve if I order from the factory.

Thank you

·
Registered
338 Posts
PM Clayton from Ramsey on the car you want. He likely can sell cheaper than almost anyone he is REXXX0486 on the board
Link to the buying program

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-p...ubwrx-new-car-buying-program-its-back-49.html

I had a 17 limited and the Short throw was a must. I dont know if the aftermarket ones are better but I liked the OEM

Price on the Exhaust isnt bad for a stainless cat back. I had a cobb and I like it a lot. no drone and not too loud. heard Corsa and invida are good as well

Larger rearview mirror that auto dims and a center console extender are good ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I just sent Ramsey a PM

Any suggestions on adding GPS after market? Is there a good unit that will still have that factory look?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the help. I just sent Ramsey a PM

Any suggestions on adding GPS after market? Is there a good unit that will still have that factory look?
I havent found any in car system better than WAZE on your phone. YMMV

·
Registered
120 Posts
a center console extender are good ideas.
I'd skip this one and get the JDM raised center console after market instead. There are lots of sources that are all about the same price. The OEM extending version has a plain armrest that doesn't match the red stitching on the rest of the "leather" bits in the interior and it blocks the rear cup holder when extended. The JDM raised console will use the stock lid with the red stitching that comes with the car. For me at least it is just the right height and provides an additional storage tray above the big bin. And, my wife and I don't get into passive aggressive raise-lower disputes over the extending verions while in the car together. Your experience may vary.

Reactions: why2kmax

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd skip this one and get the JDM raised center console after market instead. There are lots of sources that are all about the same price. The OEM extending version has a plain armrest that doesn't match the red stitching on the rest of the "leather" bits in the interior and it blocks the rear cup holder when extended. The JDM raised console will use the stock lid with the red stitching that comes with the car. For me at least it is just the right height and provides an additional storage tray above the big bin. And, my wife and I don't get into passive aggressive raise-lower disputes over the extending verions while in the car together. Your experience may vary.
Have to agree here. Mine had the extender and I hated it. Now I have the JDM and I would never thinking of changing it.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Hello,

I need advice. I have decided on a 2018 wrx premium in gray, 6 speed manual with the recaros. I am considering a factory order.

1) is the STI exhaust from the factory a good idea? The dealer will charge invoice - so the price will be $880. I want a better exhaust note. But nothing over the top. Is it worth the $880? It is attractive because it comes from the factory and has a warranty
2) is the short throw shifter a good idea? The invoice price is ~350. Does anyone have experience with the short throw shifter from the factory. Is it worth the $350?

Thanks for the help and chime in with any other items you think are a most hAve if I order from the factory.

Thank you
Short throw shifters are kind of personal. I wasn't a particular fan. However there are some that are adjustable that may be a better option.

You can find way better sounding exhausts than the SPT.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I didn't opt for a short throw shifter . . . I sat in a couple of the WRXs the dealer had in stock and didn't really notice a huge difference in the throw of a regular shifter vs. STS.

I also bought a JDM center console armrest . . . it's OK . . . but I still liked the armrest better in my old Honda Accord as it would slide forward allowing my wrist to hover right over the shifter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i use both, extender and second compartment.
That's really funny. When I replaced my extender I realized I could potentially do both, but either my arms are too long or my body too short to have any need for that much armrest!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Test drive a WRX with the SPT exhaust at highway speeds. The drone from the lack of a resonator is mind-numbing at 65-70+, especially up even a modest grade.

Listen to everyone else and get a better one!

·
Registered
338 Posts
thanks for the heads up. I had the OEM in my 17 WRX and never had a problem with the cupholders but I will check out the JDM.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had also ordered my car with the extended arm rest. Eventually I swapped it out with the dual JDM because I couldn't take the mismatching. Snoblife. What can I say...? I still have it. I do miss the extra reach a bit.
Besides my wife always lowering it, that was what finally bugged me enough to replace it. Of course, since I took delivery of the car having spent extra money on the extender with the mismatched armrest pad, that meant that in addition to buying the JDM part I also had to find a gently used replacement off ebay to make it all matchy-match like my OCD requires.

It's stupid crap like that that has resulted in my spending over $2,600 in aftermarket stuff on this car in just over two years, and other than the snow tires and wheels none of it really does anything to help the car perform in any significant way. Just trying to save the OP from walking down the same stupid armrest path at least!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts