Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on this? I don't know very much about boxer engines (I come from a 370z)
im in the market for a wrx and stumbled upon this video on youtube. Just curious if this may be a common issue of the new motor?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The "new motor" is several years old now, or so. People have found the rods to be the weakest link but, from what I understand, it shows up at pretty notable power gains.

Every engine has a weakest link, for me, this particular one has shown to be at a higher level than I plan on taking the engine to. So I keep on living my life a quarter mile at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Fa20dit doesn't exist.

The fa20f does have known weakness with the rods

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Fa20dit doesn't exist.

The fa20f does have known weakness with the rods

FA20DIT is another name for the Turbo version of the FA20 platform, more specifically the FA20E and the FA20F. It stands for Direct Injection Turbocharged.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
FA20DIT is another name for the Turbo version of the FA20 platform, more specifically the FA20E and the FA20F. It stands for Direct Injection Turbocharged.
FA20DIT is a fake name given by Subaru fanboys.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
OP, did you think the engine just wouldn't fail?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
LMAO WAT. The motor is a FA20, and it literally says DIT right on the engine bay. Someone got piss in their cheerios this morning.
that would be the FA20F I believe

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
LMAO WAT. The motor is a FA20, and it literally says DIT right on the engine bay. Someone got piss in their cheerios this morning.
The internal code for the engine is the fa20f. Period. There isn't a debate to be had about it. I don't hear anyone referring to the outgoing engine as the ej25Xpit. No, it's the ej255, ej257.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
pit dit and cheerio piss
some are full of it
and some are amiss
close this thread
its hurting my head

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha I have no problem with this thread closing. I don't know much about Subaru engines so being in the market for a new one and seeing this online raised an eyebrow or two.lol. Modified engines are more prone to failure but I was curious to see what that point might be or if it was just a common problem.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
I'd love to know if you have any tattoos so I can call you by whatever is inked on your body.

No, the engine designation is FA20F. There is no such thing as the FA20DIT.

DIT = direct injection turbo. This is common industry terminology and not the engine designation.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Haha I have no problem with this thread closing. I don't know much about Subaru engines so being in the market for a new one and seeing this online raised an eyebrow or two.lol. Modified engines are more prone to failure but I was curious to see what that point might be or if it was just a common problem.

There are nearly infinite modes of failure in an engine. it is impossible to say the exact limit or point of failure. It's not like 400hp you'll blow it up but 399 you'll be fine.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
Nonesense. There is no failure mode in my EJ25DET.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Maintenance

·
Registered
20 Posts
In general 350 torque and 21 PSI is considered the safe limit for the rods. Many push them way past those levels without failures but that is on flex fuel. It is most likely that the early tunes made way too much torque at lower RPM levels which is believed to put a lot of strain on these rods. More recent tunes focus on power up top and I haven't seen any failures as of late.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2829238

If you are going to push any of these motors at this price level, you will run into trouble, no matter the brand.

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
E85 will fry the hpfp in a hurry

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
FA20DET

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 7.52.17 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 7.52.29 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 7.52.49 AM.jpg

From the Spring drive Performance magazine published by SOA.
Just sayin, guys..............
(The "E" must be a typo)

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
View attachment 287962 View attachment 287970 View attachment 287978

From the Spring drive Performance magazine published by SOA.
Just sayin, guys..............
(The "E" must be a typo)
Probably some forum bro :p

I kid. I concede. Looks like Subaru global has adopted this branding. It wasn't always this way -- the engine started life as the code FA20F, but this may have changed due to marketing focus.

https://www.subaru-global.com/technology/performance/drivetrain_boxerengine.html

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
You've got me. I'll see if I still have the brochures around that specify fa20f

1 - 20 of 20 Posts