Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Do i need a protune for a catted J-pipe on my 2017 wrx? Only other modification is a borla catback.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Your ECU will need to be remapped for that modification, yes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your ECU will need to be remapped for that modification, yes.
alright cool. on a slightly different note would you happen to know what changes the protune would have to make to the car in order for it to run smoothy? obviously every car is different but roughly what changes would be made

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Entire recalculation of the fueling tables for the change in airflow across the board. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Entire recalculation of the fueling tables for the change in airflow across the board. Why do you ask?
just curious. I've always been interested in what happens during tuning and i wanted to know what would it take for something as simple as a J-pipe.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
alright cool. on a slightly different note would you happen to know what changes the protune would have to make to the car in order for it to run smoothy? obviously every car is different but roughly what changes would be made
On stage 2 as you have indicated?

Everything. Fuel, timing, boost control, AVCS (sometimes), and associated comps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On stage 2 as you have indicated?

Everything. Fuel, timing, boost control, AVCS (sometimes), and associated comps.
Well would it have to be stage 2? Mind you the only mod I currently have is a catback.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
So basically your overarching question is can you run whatever mod without a tune.

The answer is usually no.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Well would it have to be stage 2? Mind you the only mod I currently have is a catback.
Yes, but aren't you asking about a J-pipe?

I am not afraid to admit I'm a bit confused here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is recommended but J-Pipe usually doesn't need a pro-tune. The best thing to do is to add any parts that don't need pro-tune first then add the rest that needed a pro-tune . This way you just do one-time pro-tune. They are not cheap. Also, make an appointment first because once you add parts that needed a pro-tune your car will not run correctly and highly not recommend to drive long distances.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, but aren't you asking about a J-pipe?

I am not afraid to admit I'm a bit confused here.
yes but strictly a j-pipe . i guess the more straightforward question i had would be if i had a turbo back exhaust would i need a pro-tune . apparently the answer is yes

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
The J-pipe is the only component that necessitates a remapping of the ECU. The rest of the exhaust is virtually irrelevant.

You keep using the term "Pro-tune."

There are OTS (one-size-fits-all) ECU calibrations for just the J-Pipe, available from Cobb for example.

Yes the ECU will need to be recalibrated for the J-Pipe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts