ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock WRX is in need of a new clutch and flywheel. I drive aggressively but don't drag race. I'm looking at getting away from the OEM clutch and stepping up to Stage 1. I've been looking at the F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch & Chromoly Lightweight Flywheel or the XTR Stage 1. Been having a hard time finding many reviews.

Anyone out there have experience or info on either one or both?

Thanks,

·
Æternum
20,574 Posts
What year WRX do you own?

Since you are stock, I would STRONGLY urge you to stay with an OEM clutch and OEM flywheel since the car was designed for these components.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
What year WRX do you own?

Since you are stock, I would STRONGLY urge you to stay with an OEM clutch and OEM flywheel since the car was designed for these components.
+1. Stock torque, stock clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2004, 104K miles. This'll be the 3rd clutch the car has had (first one was the prior owners abuse). I plan on modifying in the near future, and it seems as if I drive harder than the stock clutches enjoy. Is the concern that the hardier clutches put more stress on the rest of the drivetrain?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Ahhh....different story. What power levels are looking to get to? The reason I was recommending you stay with stock was that you'd just have increased leg work (stiffer clutch) for no real reason.
Your final torque goal should ultimately determine what clutch you'll want. Have you checked out the Exedy Stage 1 Organic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have, but they seem to be substantially more expensive (I have a wife in nursing school, hence the waiting to mod) and that is a consideration. I've been finding new F1's and XTR's in the $400 range with a flywheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know how far I'll end up going. I plan on having this car for the unforseen future and rebuilding it until I decide I want to stop. As far as the leg work, I probably average 5-10 miles of driving per day in a normal week, so it's not a huge deal.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I understand. I've heard nothing but good things about the Exedy Stage 1, so much that I plan to go that route at some point (with/after 18G). But I can't provide any useful advice on which one of those two clutches would be better, but maybe someone else can....

·
Registered
39 Posts
i bought an f1 stage 2 racing clutch from ebay, and all i will say it that after 1500 miles, it started slipping, and finally when i broke the tranny after 3000 miles, i took the clutch out and the pressure plate was done for, the throw out bearing was broken and i was not impressed with it.
i followed the 750 mile break in for the clutch and at 1500 miles i side stepped the clutch while racing a cobra and the only this that smoked was the clutch.
my 03 wrx is completly stock.

i say stay away from the f1 clutches unless if your grandma is driving your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts