ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I wanted to post here to make sure this question gets viewed alot..... (sorry if its in wrong place).

2011 wrx - want to get the subaru extra -s 75-90 gear oil in my trans/front diff and rear diff. ( for better shift feel and added protection)

1.) what the heck is in there (diffs/trans) from factory?? I suppose a non synthetic 75-90 valvoline...... (someone told me that my car ALREADY comes with extra s from factory.... I doubt that.) Although Sti's have it, I think...

2.) front diff and trans SHARE their respective gear oil?

3.) the diffs and trans for WRX all use the same extra-s ?? (unlike Sti which uses a different oil for rear diff)

4.) has anyone with 11 wrx done this upgrade? is it worth it?

5.) I notice a spinning noise prior to gear engagement (while driving, not standstill)... could this be the normal sound of synchros spinning? I have KB bushings and S/S btw. Many have told me this is normal, especially with KB S/S and bushings..

thank you for reading!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
1) Yes, a non-synthetic comes from the factory

2) Yes, front diff and trans share fluid

3) Yes, same fluid for both

4) I have changed to extra-s, is it worth it? It was due to be changed and the synthetic is a better product for not much more money, so for me it was worth it. Do I notice a difference? Not really so I wouldn't bother changing it until it's due, although other people say they feel a difference

5) Probably normal, I notice all sorts of new noises with upgraded bushings. The more poly bushings you get, the louder everything seems

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
According to the manual, as long as its API Classification GL-5 you can use the same fluid for both. Not sure why there is different fluid offered from redline

1 - 5 of 5 Posts