Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allot of times when I let off of the accelorator really fast, (especially from WOT), MY exhaust makes a popping sound. it sounds a little bit like a backfire, but not quite as loud. What is causing this? Is it bad? Do I need to get anything checked?

I have an M2 exhaust and up-pipe along with a Unichip tuned by cobbbtuning if it helps at all.

any input would be appreciated,
Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a custom turboback exhaust and it pops when I let off the accelerator too! So have you guys ever been pulled over by the cops because of the sound of your muffler? I haven't yet, but my exhaust is louder than a mofo!! Exhaust sounds similar to the one when you click on the rallyperformance.com page. Well, although it is loud the WRX's have a low throatty exhaust note that isn't annoyingly high pitched like some hondas and acuras. Maybe those cars have a tendency to be pulled over for exhaust noise...

·
Registered
153 Posts
speaking of which...

i have noticed a not-too-loud-but-definitely-noticeable chirping sound in exhaust, after to even just ~2krpm. i have godspeed's uppipe.

please explain:
1) if this is normal;
2) what may be causing it.

marcus

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yo

Yeah it's the backfire from the new exhaust as people stated above. Isn't it reduced w/ a UniChip or EMS?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yo

Stock ... the aftermarket causes even MORE backfire and it kills performance along w/ gas mileage. I did like the aftermarket BOV but there's NO way I'm gonna have one which decrease gas mileage and performance. If I can get one w/ the sound but keep or increased performance and gas mileage then I'd be all over it. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
NEwrx said:
speaking of which...

i have noticed a not-too-loud-but-definitely-noticeable chirping sound in exhaust, after to even just ~2krpm. i have godspeed's uppipe.
I have this too and I did some searching on i-club and found that a lot of people are hearing this. Annoying as hell but I didn't see any solutions or even any explanations. I got down under the car while I had someone rev it for me, and the chirping seemed to be coming from the exhaust tips. Weird huh? I'm guessing that it wasn't really the exhaust tips chirping, but it came from inside the exhaust further up the line but was audible at the tips. Anyway, search for cricket, chirp, and squeaky exhaust and you'll see some discussions.

·
Registered
153 Posts
*chirp*

blave,
thanks for your thoughts on this.
"Weird huh?" --very. am wondering (or assuming, rather) that this chirping goes away w/ the addition of the catless downpipe (godspeed) and exhaust (obviously, as am guessing the exhaust note would be loud enough to mask the chirping, even if it were there). although i still *do* wonder what it is that's causing it...
hmm...
thanks blave,
marcus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup, it happens to bone stock WRX's. Just put it in neutral in your driveway, roll down your windows, and rev it up a bit. 3 or 4k should be all you need. When the revs come back down you will hear it chirp.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't know if these chirping sounds are the same, but I noticed on WRC cars they make a lot of chirping type noises right around when they shift. I don't know what causes it, anyone know what that is?

·
Warning: MotorMatrix owes ClubWRX.net Advertiseme
97 Posts
its all very normal. the boxer motors run very rich stock. as you add more intake mods and it leans out a little more it will lessen. i hated it when it first started happening but now i love it and could care less. the rally car does it all day long and if you get the new ps2 WRC game youll see the car backfire the whole race!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just put on the following:

godspeed uppipe

godspeed usdm downpipe

prodrive axelback

now I am getting a slight popping noise, is this afterfire (rich air/fuel mixture sending unburnt fuel to hot exaust and exploding)

is this just somthing i should learn to live with?

would an s-afc help this out ?

let me know. thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honestly, try running some pure race gas, u get the popping a LOT more... I LOVE IT :) like downshifting to second and rev mathcing, pop pop pop, all u see is people heads turn lol

Rob

·
2,210 Posts
b l a v e said:
Are you referring to the backfiring or the exhaust chirping, because I don't think the chirping is normal.
What you are referring to is most likely afterfiring; the phenomenon of unburnt fuel entering the hot exhaust system and igniting, producing the cool popping noise. It's obviously more frequent if you are running zero cats.

Backfiring is when a flame front pushes back into the intake tract, which can occur for several different reasons. It can be common on carburetted motorcycles, but would probably be quite a dangerous condition on an intercooled turbocharged vehicle.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
KanosWRX said:
I don't know if these chirping sounds are the same, but I noticed on WRC cars they make a lot of chirping type noises right around when they shift. I don't know what causes it, anyone know what that is?
I thouoght that the chirping noise in the WRC cars was from the air entering the small vent in the hood scoop, since the chirping sound is constant. I could be wrong, but that was my first impression when I was watching it on the tube.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.