Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya the title pretty much sums it up, i was just wondering what my ecu is going to do when i open my exhost cut out valve... the valve redirects the exhost flow out the side of the exhost system instead of streight through, so basically running streight headers.... its electronicly controled so i can open it and close it at will, does anyone know if this could be bad, i think the o2 sensor was relocated to the downpipe before the cutout valve.... any help would be apretiated.... thanx

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think just relocating a sesnor will throw some confusion up and around. I never liked the exhaust cut out idea. I had some trouble with one on my previous car. Got some horrible exhaust leaks, even with a bolt off version~ the nuts found a way to come off no matter how much you torque it down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya mine leaks a little, but its hardly noticable, it works great though.... but do you think that little confusion is going to do any long term damage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got an electric cut out as well, is yours the QTEC? Mine leaks slightly but I found a trick to drastically reduce the leak, as you approach the closing point of the cutout, just keep tapping the switch and the cutout will close almost completely. Don't hold the switch down, it will just bounce back open. I love how loud it can be with it open, seems to me that it is louder then my friends WS6 with its cutout. I'm not sure if it can cause any problems for the ecu, but it may cause a slight overboost??? I have kept my eye on the boost gauge, but all seems fine so far...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've been thinking about an electronically controled cut-out also. I'm glad to see others have already installed and running w/ it.

I;ve got some q's:

where did you place it?

How did you deal w/ the high temp exhaust gas under the car? Additional heat shielding? A diverter pipe?

What were the gains besides the obvious added noise?

Hg.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QuickSilver said:
I've been thinking about an electronically controled cut-out also. I'm glad to see others have already installed and running w/ it.

I;ve got some q's:

where did you place it?

How did you deal w/ the high temp exhaust gas under the car? Additional heat shielding? A diverter pipe?

What were the gains besides the obvious added noise?

Hg.
my michanic and I went to his machine shop and they welded it directly into the downpipe, about 2 inches away from the cat back.... theres plenty of room around it, but it will take some planing on the install

high temp exhaust gas under the car? hmmm... i guess i just don't really deal with it at all.... i don't really leave the vavle open for very long maby like 2 min at the most, but thats not even running hard...

the gains i haven't really tested yet to be honest... but its defenently a gain over stock... thats for sure... oh ya thanx for the tip koko2 thats been bothering me for awhile... nways i think the main gain is the sound, wow:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've placed the cutout along side the downpipe, the muffler shop made about a 4 inch slanted hole on the downpipe and welded the cutout pipe with a slanted mouth onto the downpipe. The cutout points straight down. The only way I deal with it is not to leave it open too long when not moving. While driving I don't think heat will stick around too long under the car. The gains are more response in all gears. Most noticable in 1st i think. So far I have 1500 miles on the car with the cutout and its working fine. For some reason, once I did my cutout my car gets full boost in all gears. It used to be getting 8 lbs, now gets the 14lbs in first. This happens with or without the cutout open... But that could be simply due to the fact that I am catless in the downpipe.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey,
Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I have a bosal DP (not installed yet) so i wouldn't want to cut into that. I was thinking of placing it right before the 3rd cat (which, if everything goes well, will be my only cat). I'm afraid that the hot gases will be bad, especially since the fuel tank is below the rear seats. Turbo cars get real hot real fast...do you guys notice any melted undercoating?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh ya koko mine is a qtech... nways i haven't noticed any yet, knock on wood, but i have a question, how did you get the valve to point down? isn't ther no clearance what so ever?> i mean, my car is droped, so i guess theres a little less, but doesn't the valve stick out any?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The cut out opening is about 6 inches away from the back side of the turbo. Since the downpipe is slanted, the hole on the downpipe where the cutout attaches to is slanted by about the same angle, so about 60-70% of the exhaust gases go straight out when open. The front diff is lower then the qtec if i remember correctly, so its not that low.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahhhh thats how you mounted it.... i had it mounted lower, well i didn't actually choose where to mount it but ya mine is mounted near where the cat back meats the downpipe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts