Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering doing a full exhaust replacement. I'd like to do U/P on back for my '04. My question is if I were do do so, and if I ever needed to file a warranty claim If I simply rebolt the original parts is there any way for them to know based on the ECM, etc, that I had the upgraded parts bolted there and use that as a basis for denying my claim.

I feel guilty for even asking this question since people ask this type of questions all the time, and I'd hate for them to take a back seat to true performance questions.

If you have first hand experience on this subject please chime in. I'd like to hear from people that have encountered these issues first hand. Whether they didn't replace the parts before filing for service or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
im a technician and no, there is no way to tell if you return anything. Most tech's that aren't into performance wont be able to tell even if you have a vf series turbo on there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's good to here. Since you seem pretty knowledgeable is that true for ECM/UTEC's if you reflash. Somehow I find that hard to believe. And while i dont plan on putting one in I was still curious.

Thanks for the great info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bump for paragon's re-flash question.
I'm a little paranoid about that as well. Also - even IF they can't see the re-flash, could they flash STOCK programming over it when performing updates, etc...?

Nobody else seems to be worried about this. :confused:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
As far as reflashed ecus are concerned, its possible that if you take it in for a driveability/CEL problem, they can hook up the scanner and see that the ecu is running rich/ see mixed signals from sensors. Then the tech, who doesn't under stand why it is doing that, will start replacing sensors/ecu because that is the only other thing they can do. Then viola ! You lost your reflashed ecu. That is why i dont believe in reflashes, because you are altering the ecu's software. Plug and play Engine managment (utec) is better because you can always remove it and BAM back to 100% stock.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
snvin said:
Bump for paragon's re-flash question.
I'm a little paranoid about that as well. Also - even IF they can't see the re-flash, could they flash STOCK programming over it when performing updates, etc...?

Nobody else seems to be worried about this. :confused:
Yes they could if there is need for the ecu to be flashed. It is fairly rare and usually done only if there is a TSB on it. WRX's rarely have that problem. The only cars that iv'e see that needs to be reflashed for warranty is Toyota Rav-4's with the PO420/430 codes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
Yes they could if there is need for the ecu to be flashed. It is fairly rare and usually done only if there is a TSB on it. WRX's rarely have that problem. The only cars that iv'e see that needs to be reflashed for warranty is Toyota Rav-4's with the PO420/430 codes.

Well, at least it's reassuring to know that Subaru isn't re-flashing ECUs left and right. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts