Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of questions so let me preface this by saying I couldn't locate original owner to ask him these questions but:

I purchased a used 2016 WRX that came upgraded with the STI exhaust, wing, ss and mishimoto intake, this is what I've identified thus far aside from some other cosmetic upgrades, but that said, the STI exhaust has a 2.5 diameter, right? - I located some conflicting reports.

Now, the mishimoto intake, after speaking to a guy who tracks his own WRX he mentioned that if my engine isn't tuned to the particular mishimoto map that COBB has on their site, I could potentially be doing damage to the vehicle and I wanted to asked the community if they agreed?

He offered to sell me his COBB and even located the correct tune online and I guess I'm just trying to back up what he's saying. Also, when you purchase a map you have to enter your COBB serial number, so, just wanted to check if you can purchase second hand Cobbs? -

Next, he has a Q300 exhaust system which he said you need because of the 3" diameter for a stage 2 tune, in addition to a J pipe. - everything I've researched seems to support this, but I've seen a few other forums that said the STI 2.5 exhaust seemed sufficient as long as you purchased the j-pipe?

if you all have different views I'd love to hear them. But, I think moving forward, I'd just at least like to sort out the cobb/mishimoto issue so I'm not doing any damage, I've only driven it 3Ksince I purchased it.

I probably will have follow-up questions, but I appreciate the genuine feedback as I just got this and am trying to learn as much as I can before I do anything to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should note that this guy (that I spoke with) is taking his car back to stock to trade in so he's selling his aftermarket parts and that's how I ran into him via following up on an add. Additionally I just wanted to pick his brain and now I'm asking this community.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Now, the mishimoto intake, after speaking to a guy who tracks his own WRX he mentioned that if my engine isn't tuned to the particular mishimoto map that COBB has on their site, I could potentially be doing damage to the vehicle and I wanted to asked the community if they agreed?
Yes, the ECU will need to be remapped. There is an unbelievable amount of ignorance among "enthusiasts" about Intakes -- why or if they add power, how, and if it requires ECU calibration. Unless the fueling is speed-density (MAP, IAT) like the Focus ST, you run the risk of dangerously incorrect mixtures running intakes without mapping the ECU. The WRX is no exception.

I wasn't even aware of a Cobb map for the Mishimoto until you mentioned it. Apparently there's one for the 2017 for $25, but this is a Stage 2+ intake map and not relevant to your current modifications. Really you should find an OEM intake box and dump that damned intake.

I purchased a used 2016 WRX that came upgraded with the STI exhaust, wing, ss and mishimoto intake, this is what I've identified thus far aside from some other cosmetic upgrades, but that said, the STI exhaust has a 2.5 diameter, right? - I located some conflicting reports.

Next, he has a Q300 exhaust system which he said you need because of the 3" diameter for a stage 2 tune, in addition to a J pipe. - everything I've researched seems to support this, but I've seen a few other forums that said the STI 2.5 exhaust seemed sufficient as long as you purchased the j-pipe?
This is all irrelevant. The diameter of the piping after the catalyst will not impinge flow on any loads you can hit on the OEM turbo. The catback is for sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding, I located a stage one mishimoto map from Cobb and had it installed for the time being until I can bring the car back to factory settings if that is the way I decide to go.

that being said, I understand why ppl have installed these tunes, the reduced jerkiness, turbo lag, rev hang, acceleration, etc. I would even go as far as to say the car sounds different. But, it could be me.

I do like the additional information that the Cobb provides, I’m in the midst of data logging and am reading everything up on the data elements, I do analytics for a living so it’ll be exciting to actually do it on something I own.

aside from general interest, and or brought them to a custom tuner, has anyone done anything with their logs?

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
aside from general interest, and or brought them to a custom tuner, has anyone done anything with their logs?
I mean yeah... I've tuned my vehicles...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts