Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So money is tight right now and will be for the foreseeable future thinking about just putting a perrin/hks/invidia uppipe and a decent axle back on it and calling it a day. Opinions? Ideas of a decent axle back? 02wrx sedan 39k ORIGINAL miles completely bone stock

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
I would leave the noise maker alone and replace the up pipe alone if money is tight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I will add the obligatory fatherly post:
If money is tight, the factory exhaust will work just fine. It has for 39K miles right?
Fight the urge to spend. Save now to get what you really want later.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
I will add the obligatory fatherly post:
If money is tight, the factory exhaust will work just fine. It has for 39K miles right?
Fight the urge to spend. Save now to get what you really want later.
The older cars have a cat in the up pipe that can fail sending shrapnel through the turbo. It's worth replacing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
I prefer uppipes that have flex sections, personally. Something like the Grimmspeed uppipe, for example.

If money is tight, replace the uppipe, do the resistor fix to disable the DTC, and enjoy your car for what it is. Don't bother with an axleback, just save your money until you can get a downpipe and a S2 tune.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I found a turbo back but I had read that people are losing power after installing new a exhaust because they haven't gotten a tune yet is there any truth to this? Other then o2 sensors which I'll be doing the resistor mod so it shouldn't matter what else would cause that

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
MrFlynn said:
So I found a turbo back but I had read that people are losing power after installing new a exhaust because they haven't gotten a tune yet is there any truth to this? Other then o2 sensors which I'll be doing the resistor mod so it shouldn't matter what else would cause that
The ONLY reason I suggested replacing the uppipe is because it's a potential failure point that can require you to replace your turbo if the catalyst fails.

If money is tight, the LAST thing on your mind should be increasing power, it should be on making sure routine maintenance is taken care of. A catless uppipe is considered "maintenance" to me, for the 2.0L.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,591 Posts
So I found a turbo back but I had read that people are losing power after installing new a exhaust because they haven't gotten a tune yet is there any truth to this?
No. You don't need a reflash for an exhaust. You'll not see max output though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a perrin catless uppipe already and all maintainence has been done including timing belt and it's onot got 40k original on it

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
MrFlynn said:
I have a perrin catless uppipe already and all maintainence has been done including timing belt and it's onot got 40k original on it
Install the Perrin, do the resistor fix, and enjoy the car. You won't really feel all that much in the top-end, but the low-end / midrange should feel a good bit better.

How about all the mounts/bushings? Have you looked into them? These wear items may be close to EOL after 15 years, even if the vehicle has been sitting much of that time. They're relatively inexpensive to do, and make a big difference in the way the car feels. Obviously, some are better than others, and some should be done at the same time (e.g., crossmember bushings / transmission mount) because the part is right there while you're doing the install. The best part about bushings is you generally don't have any kind of failure point as a result of them, and you can enjoy many of them even when you're not really beating on the car (e.g., shifter bushings).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts