ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first WRX, previous Honda driver! :)
I was looking in the exhaust system and wanting some advice from experienced WRX drivers/tuners. I was looking at getting:

(all Injen):
Crosspipe, downpipe, uppipe, CAI, SES cat-back. Found a decent price for the parts...$1550 shipped. Let me know if that sounds good or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks!

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
d103097s said:
Hello everyone! This is my first WRX, previous Honda driver! :)
I was looking in the exhaust system and wanting some advice from experienced WRX drivers/tuners. I was looking at getting:

(all Injen):
Crosspipe, downpipe, uppipe, CAI, SES cat-back. Found a decent price for the parts...$1550 shipped. Let me know if that sounds good or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks!
your best option is to leave the stock headers (xpipe included) alone. most people experience very little gains, and whatever the do get (some lost power too FYI) the pay for the peak number in other areas of the curve. they also lose the beautiful, low rumble of the boxer engine.

the CAI on a turbo car is not going to do anything, expecially at your level of tune. when it does come time to upgrade the intake, you're going to want to go short ram, not CAI. some searches will yield GOBBS of discussions on this.

typical reccomended upgrade path for the WRX is a little different than other cars. i think the following suggestions will be similar or the same to what the majority of our members will reccomend.

uppipe
downpipe (do it with the uppipe, save some time and $$)
catback
boost control or EMS

after that, i'd start thinking brakes and suspension, then you're knocking on stage 4 territory, which is upgrading turbo, IC, fuel system etc.

dR

·
Registered
309 Posts
For that money I'd get either a UTEC + u/p + d/p

or:

Cobb AP + TBE.

Really no need for the xpipe or the CAI. You'd be much happier with your car's outcome spending that money on engine management.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info so far, but I do have a few questions.

1. TurboXS Turbo Uppipe (Catless) from PTuning....does that mean not street legal? Live in Ohio, so I have to deal with emission checks....

2. TBE -- As in the TurboXS Turbo Back Exhaust?

3. What is UTEC and AP?

N00b here! Honda wasn't turbo'ed, and didn't do too much with engine itself except the standard I/H/E setup.

·
Registered
309 Posts
d103097s said:
Thanks for the info so far, but I do have a few questions.

1. TurboXS Turbo Uppipe (Catless) from PTuning....does that mean not street legal? Live in Ohio, so I have to deal with emission checks....

2. TBE -- As in the TurboXS Turbo Back Exhaust?

3. What is UTEC and AP?

N00b here! Honda wasn't turbo'ed, and didn't do too much with engine itself except the standard I/H/E setup.
1) yes technically its not street legal, but emissions checks are done with the car running. The Uppipe cat is only used during cold starts and the STI doesnt even have one.

2) no.. just any Turbo Back Exhaust. I happen to have the Turboxs stealthback (downpipe + midpipe) with a prodrive muffler. Its got a great sound and I love it.. but it was on the expensive side.

3) UTEC / AP is electronic engine management. Look in that section for a review on both. The UTEC is more advanced and takes a while to learn but imo really isnt that hard to use. The AP is a plug and play.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a stock WRX, no STi. :(

Being stock, from what I've read so far, would the Cobb Stage 2 power package w/ Cat convert and the Cobb Stage 2 Brake Kit be a good start? OR should I get the Cobb Stage 1 Suspension Package, or at all, before the Brake Kit?

I like to keep everything the same if possible. Looking for quick power gains, but not planning to race. Just trying to soak up as much as possible to start shopping! Thanks for all the info so far :)

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
d103097s said:

I like to keep everything the same if possible. Looking for quick power gains, but not planning to race. Just trying to soak up as much as possible to start shopping! Thanks for all the info so far :)
you'll spend more $$ for the same stuff going with 1 vendor's power package. there's not a huge benefit to doing all one brand.

as for street legal, there are plenty of ways to pass emissions. don't worry too much about that. is ohio an abdII tester? or do they use the sniffer?

dR

·
Registered
525 Posts
Where in Ohio? If you are near Dayton, there's a big group of us that meet.

My completely subjective suggestions:

1. Turbo back- I'd suggest you find one used here or the other WRX site. Or, put one together- a good catback and I'd recommend the Stromung downpipe. You can keep the third cat if you want (minimal hp losses unless you go into heavily modded stuff). My favorite vendors are Daddy's and Suby Dude.

Don't get too caught up on which setup makes the most of this or that, blah blah. For most of us, the differences are unnoticable, or if they are, it doesn't matter that much.

2. Engine management- I have AP and am very happy with it. Combineds with a downpipe, you'll have 285 hp- very nice. There's a wait list on this, but its worth it. Or you could just have Cobb do the reflash.

3. Emissions- with the AP, no CEL will come up and assuming you look kinda stock, you'll pass. One local even passed the sniffer with only the third cat.

4. Handling- I suggest wheels and tires first, though I'm not a big handling kinda guy. Getting 17" wheels makes a big difference. You can get a used setup, complete with tires, for around $600 (Rotas), or new Rotas and tires for about $1200.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions. I llive down in the northern Cincinnati area, about 1 hour S of Dayton...I live off 75.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Check the local forums, if you haven't already. There is a roll-call Dayton post. We get together fairly often...lots of opinions and advice.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
everyone is right on the money with the motor/exhaust/ems recommendations.

if you decide to go with the cobb ap, get it from a vendor that has them in stock to avoid the wait list. theres a few out there.

my suggestions other than everyone elses perfect suggestions above is with suspension/handling:

if youre on a budget like the rest of us hit up subydude for some rota wheels or poke around here for some used sets. theyre great quality, good design, and pretty light. kumhos are liked by alot here, i use falkens and love them.

the concensus is 17x7.5 is the best size to go with for all around comfort/handling. but if youre into 18 or *gasp* bigger then go for it. (be ready for the haters though) :rolleyes:

springs (struts?) will be your next plan of attack since the rex has the famous frnt fender gap.

larger mm sway bars and endlinks will help you reign in the steering if you see a problem with it and your style of driving.

strut braces have mixed reactions from everyone. do them if you want, but its better to spend money elsewhere first. one tip though, if you do springs do rear strut braces so you dont have to remove rear seat over and over again.

brake pads and fluid will be a nice upgrade immediately though. and go ahead and move to SS lines and new rotors whenever youre ready.

ok well i guess im done...hope this helps and welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts