Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys anyone in Cali know of keeping you’re STi loud but like 3in all the way without going straight piped? I went straight piped but got caught cuz it’s “too loud” but I love the way it sounded and wanna keep it like that or atleast somewhere similar. Anyone know of a way to keep it 3in but not super loud? I have an invidia catless downpipe with an ets catback.

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Hey guys anyone in Cali know of keeping you’re STi loud but like 3in all the way without going straight piped? I went straight piped but got caught cuz it’s “too loud” but I love the way it sounded and wanna keep it like that or atleast somewhere similar. Anyone know of a way to keep it 3in but not super loud? I have an invidia catless downpipe with an ets catback.
Literally about every performance cat back from just about every manufacturer. Corsa, invidia, nameless, ets, magnaflow, borla, and many more.

Avoid eBay noise makers, the invidia n1, and the nameless deletes and possibly the 4" cans depending on your locale

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Literally about every performance cat back from just about every manufacturer. Corsa, invidia, nameless, ets, magnaflow, borla, and many more.

Avoid eBay noise makers, the invidia n1, and the nameless deletes and possibly the 4" cans depending on your locale
What if you run a downpipe as well?

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Its completely illegal everywhere in the us, and you are more likely to get busted in Cali. It makes very little difference in volume in my opinion anyway.

Almost every reputable downpipe will mate with any cat back

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My invidia downpipe made a big difference when I accelerate but same tone at cruising speed. You think if it had a high flow car on it’ll make a difference compared to the catless downpipe?

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
I didn't notice much difference between stock and catless

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
2012 wrx. The sound isn't that different between the ej255 and the 257 in the sti

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But the ej is different than the fa in the 15 plus years cuz my friend has a 19 wrx with the invidia r400 catback and he says it’s quiet but on my STi it’s pretty loud

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Right. Your STI has an ej257, mine has the ej255. The engines are very similar but vastly different than the fa20f found in the wrx.

We both have the same displacement, layout, exhaust style. Your car will have slightly more burble at idle than my wrx but under load they are both very similar and with the same exhaust would be indistinguishable except to the most veteran Subaru enthusiast.

I may be mistaken but the entire exhaust of the wrx/sti with the ej255/7 engines have the same exhaust save for the turbo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
STi from 08-19 have the same exhaust system and I believe intercooler and turbo setup. What exhaust system are you running on yours?

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Corsa. It sounds the same driving as my coworkers 16 sti. Idle her sti has a little more of a pulse sound but when we open them up there is no difference

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Nope, I live in Kentucky though so it's not a gauge of anything. I can drive around with open zoomies shooting flames and breaking windows and nobody cares.

However from stock exhaust to the Corsa my idle and driving exhaust volume didn't change, step on it and it would rattle your teeth out of your head when you start hitting 4k+. In a good way though

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang. My ets changed the idle and the roar when I floored it pretty drastic and the other day I added the invidia downpipe and it changed dramatically. When I hit 3k all my windows and mirrors vibrate and when I floor it car alarms go off

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
I hope you are tuned properly for your downpipe. If not........ boom goes the dynamite. aka, your engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts