Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2005 impreza sti(my first) with a Cobb tune and noticed there is smoke from the exhaust on start up. Had compression test done before I bought it and everything came up fine. Once I take it up the road and come back, no more smoke, only after sitting for a while? How worried should I be?

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Depends.

Oil consumption?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had oil change done last week, i work at the dealership I bought it from, I'll have to check and see

·
Registered
7 Posts
A typical place for a turbo to start leaking from is the oil seals when they are fully stopped. Some turbo's actually do this with very little wear (see Mazda 2.3 turbos/recall). As long as it is only a little bit, I wouldn't worry to much about it, but do keep an eye on the oil level, particularly if it gets worse.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Ohhhhh yes.

We had that problem with our MS3. Using a heavier weight oil helped the situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ohhhhh yes.

We had that problem with our MS3. Using a heavier weight oil helped the situation.

Yup, I had an MS6, and it was embarrassing to sit in traffic for any period of time. Oil weight change made no difference on mine. I was also lucky enough to get my recall fix notice 3 weeks after I traded it in due to the smoking issue...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts