ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 05 wrx for 3 months and this is the second time the exhaust sensor has burned out causing the check engine light to come on.. Now i have a 3 hr. drive to get it fixed. does anyone know why this sensor keeps burning up. HELP!!:sadwave:

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
I have had my 05 wrx for 3 months and this is the second time the exhaust sensor has burned out causing the check engine light to come on.. Now i have a 3 hr. drive to get it fixed. does anyone know why this sensor keeps burning up. HELP!!:sadwave:
What sensor is it? I assume it's the 02 sensor but is it upstream or downstream?

Are you replacing it with a Subaru part or a generic part? What do you mean by burning? Are the wires touching the exhaust? Are you catless? Do you run any kind of race gas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the subaru factory sensor... all subaru has told me is that the actual sensor is burning. not the wires. I dont think it is the O2 sensor. Both times the light has come on it has been just everyday driving, and cruising at 60 on freeway i run regular 89 gas, there is a different exhaust which is a subaru but unknown what exactly "im guessing an sti exhaust". i bought it exactly how it is. The car runs fine and has no problems except the check engine light is on. The previous owner switched a lot of things, which is unknown exactly. I bought it from a dealer but they were idiots. This is the second time this has happened. they were saying that it is actually burning as in blackened and burnt out, which means it is getting extremely hot. Could this be the diff. exhaust?

·
Registered
0 Posts
can u get a pic of what is burning please ?
what cel are u throwing ?
why are u using 89 ? the min u should be using is 91 just a fyi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i will try to get a picture of it.. i got the code of what the comp. says and it says that the "Exhaust gas temp" is high... Thats the same thing that it said before when i first bought it.. now the first time this happened, subaru reset the comp. and obviously the light came back on because all the did was reset the light until the new sensor came in... "it had to be ordered".. anyways.. this time i checked the code with a scanner i bought and i dont think the light gets reset cause it was on after i checked it... anyways i drove for about five miles and the light went off. and now after restarting the car a couple times the check engine light stays off...

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
yeah i will try to get a picture of it.. i got the code of what the comp. says and it says that the "Exhaust gas temp" is high... Thats the same thing that it said before when i first bought it.. now the first time this happened, subaru reset the comp. and obviously the light came back on because all the did was reset the light until the new sensor came in... "it had to be ordered".. anyways.. this time i checked the code with a scanner i bought and i dont think the light gets reset cause it was on after i checked it... anyways i drove for about five miles and the light went off. and now after restarting the car a couple times the check engine light stays off...

So you are getting an EGT code. Does the car have a catless up-pipe? If it does then a simple resistor ohm mod will fix this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No... no catless up-pipe. the everything is 99% stock.. the guy before me put an sti intercooler and exhaust on.. thats as much as i know, and can tell....... i have a friend who has a subbie and he said that my turbo is really loud. like you can hear it more than in his car. there isnt a bov or anything and its the stock turbo.. just wondering what that could mean if anything.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
No... no catless up-pipe. the everything is 99% stock.. the guy before me put an sti intercooler and exhaust on.. thats as much as i know, and can tell....... i have a friend who has a subbie and he said that my turbo is really loud. like you can hear it more than in his car. there isnt a bov or anything and its the stock turbo.. just wondering what that could mean if anything.
Well most people do not just toss on a STI intercooler as the only mod. When you say exhaust is it a turbo back exhaust. Most people when they do exhaust they will change out the uppipe since it has a cat before the turbo.

It's really hard to see the stock uppipe without taking some things apart. That would be me guess on why you are getting the code. It probaly either has an aftermarket uppipe or a gutted stock uppipe.

·
Registered
413 Posts
imo get a catless up pipe and do the egt fix. and then also use 91 or better octane .... its sad when you give it anything lower, its like feeding your pets antifreeze instead of water

·
Registered
218 Posts
make real sure you have a stock uppipe.

If its a sti uppipe or late model wrx uppipe in there it will look stock but still might not have a cat or the egt sensor. If thats the case $1.50 at your local radio shack for a 2.2kohm resistor will fix this whole issue.

Also like sated before unless the previous owner was just stupid there is no reason to have put an sti intercooler on there with no other mods. So either dude bought it for bling or he has turned that car back to stock. Or close to it. Most people leave the uppipe when doing the whole back to stock because its hard to see and time consuming to replace. And really its a good thing to get rid of so you dont suck cat pieces in the turbo.

I would take a really good look at the car and see if there are any mods you or the dealer might not have noticed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Code Is "p0546"

Yup thats the EGT in the uppipe.

You can fix your CEL by simply taking the sensor out of the uppipe, plugging the hole and putting a resistor in the harness. There are instructions and pictures on where and how to do this.

I still dont understand what exactly was happening to the sensor though...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem, and mine won't pass inspection in Arizona.

It is throwing codes P0546 and P1312....

So can this be fixed with a new EGT sensor? Or is it best to do the resistor mod?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't know if the OP is still having issues, but I don't think anyone brought up the fact that his ECU could have been re-mapped with something other that the stock programming. If that's the case, the reflashed maps could very well be 93 octane specific and it's no wonder he's seeing abnormally high EGT's while running lower octane fuel.

To jast513, replacing the sensor or doing the resistor mod isn't going to remedy the condition that caused your CEL's in the first place (see preceding paragraph). However, take a look at the UP/exhaust install guide which is stickied in the Engine Performance section of the Tutorial forum. That should give you a better idea of the sensor location.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
I don't know if the OP is still having issues, but I don't think anyone brought up the fact that his ECU could have been re-mapped with something other that the stock programming. If that's the case, the reflashed maps could very well be 93 octane specific and it's no wonder he's seeing abnormally high EGT's while running lower octane fuel.

To jast513, replacing the sensor or doing the resistor mod isn't going to remedy the condition that caused your CEL's in the first place (see preceding paragraph). However, take a look at the UP/exhaust install guide which is stickied in the Engine Performance section of the Tutorial forum. That should give you a better idea of the sensor location.
+11
i would guess this is a previous stage 2.5 flashed back to stock i would bet, The 89 octane is NOT HELPING the issue. you cant put 89 in your turbo car bro:redface:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am sorry to hijack the thread but since the OP hasn't responded in 2 months I thought I would ask some questions. I hope that is cool...

ODJ: so if those two codes came up what is the fix for it? I thought replacing the EGT sensor would take care of both codes that I got. But you are saying that it won't fix it? Does anyone have another idea of what it could be then? I don't want to take it to the stealership, I am hoping I can replace some parts and get the CEL reset and be on my way to passing the emissions...

Thanks in advance for your response!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts