Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get myself a WRX within the next year or so and I'm thinking the first thing I'd do to it is upgrade the exhaust. Here is the problem though: I want something more deep and rumbly than stock but I definitely don't want it too loud. I want a good looking muffler and a slightly deeper sound, let's put it that way.

What are my options?

Right now, on my '00 Nissan Altima, I have 2.25" catback with a Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat converter and a Magnaflow duel tip muffler. The sound is good, but way too loud, especially when someone else is in the car. Some say it's because I installed a header, but I know someone who has a Nissan Sentra w/ a catback and it sounds just as loud (and obnoxious).

So again, the most important requirements for me are looks and a slightly deeper and louder sound. How would the sound change if I just install a different muffler and keep the original pipes? How would performance change if I got a catback with an aftermarket muffler?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a Brullen turoback and it is great. It has a low meaty rumble to it and you can get it in 3 versions; quiet, medium and loud. I have the quiet one and everyone can tell it is after market because it sounds agressive but at the same time it is not too loud. It also has the best finish I have seen on any exhaust pipes. I have the twin tip version to look more stock but it's 10 times the quality of the stock tips with the crome covers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Road Runner said:
I have a Brullen turoback and it is great. It has a low meaty rumble to it and you can get it in 3 versions; quiet, medium and loud. I have the quiet one and everyone can tell it is after market because it sounds agressive but at the same time it is not too loud. It also has the best finish I have seen on any exhaust pipes. I have the twin tip version to look more stock but it's 10 times the quality of the stock tips with the crome covers.
I've heard of Brullen before. Hmm....are they a Canadian brand name? Anyway, how thick are the tips? Stock tips (covers) are about 2 inches right? At least they look like they're 2 inches. My Magnaflow muffler has duel 3 inch tips. A little on the big side and it takes a little getting used to, but it looks phat once you do get used to it (and shine it).

So, what's the difference between turboback and catback (don't need a detailed explanation, I'll do some searching)?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wade-0 said:
The downpipe and cat-pipe.
Oh I see. I'm guessing the turboback has a different pipe called the 'downpipe' whereas the catback is simply the piping from the cat converter to the muffler?

My header on my Altima came with a downpipe. Is this the same as the downpipe you're talking about? It's connected on one end with the header and on the other end with the cat converter (I think)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
altiman2k said:
It's connected on one end with the header and on the other end with the cat converter (I think)
Downpipe:

One end is connected to the turbo, in the middle is a cat (the 2nd in the system), then it connects to the cat-pipe.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
just as an fyi....the characteristics of the boxer engine are a deep, low rumble (a la v8)....all aftermarket exhaust systems will give you the sound you are looking for...the difference will be how loud you want it...

this is tough too because everyone's definition of loud is different...there are plenty of sound clips on the site...i would suggest taking a listen to then before you buy....there is tons of good info on this board...

oh and by the way...i have a full scoobysport exhaust enroute...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts