Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exhaust opinions! What SOUNDS best

10K views 78 replies 41 participants last post by  WRXin' 
#1 ·
Personally the coolest sounding exhaust I have heard is the Kakimoto GT1 OZ. Awesome sound but loud as blazes. easily the loudest one on the market. Incredible though and better power than anything else I've tried. The HKS I did NOT lie the sound of. Sounds raspy and not as deep. The Blitz is very nice tone as is the Greddy which I also liked a lot. A cheap one which isn't too loud is the Apexi WS exhaust.

#3 ·
Well i'm still a newbie WRXer but I GOTTA get an exhaust on my car, its sooo quiet. I'm used to a borla catback system on my VR4 that was loud as hell...would shake windowpains and such in my house. I read the shootout of all the exhausts and saw that the HKS performed the best and the blitz second.

The blitz...i dont know about that sound...i'm not gunna say anything about it or try to create an analogy cause I may get flamed! haha

Any suggestions, or sound clips...basically anything...I know the 4banger wont sound like a VR4 or a z28...but i'm just looking for a LOUD smooth tone. The blitz wasnt very smooth.

Cheers!

#4 ·
I've got a 2.5" straight pipe on my car and it sounds SWEET! It really brings out the unique sound of the Boxer motor. I was hanging with a couple buddies last night (one of which just got a 2000 FireHAWK!) and got lots of compliments from them! All I did was remove the resonator and the muffler. All 3 cats are still in place.

#6 ·
armin has the blitz just like i do and i love it i think it's great. he has more done than i do he has an hks dp and an uppipe but i love the sound of mine! everyone else i talk to does too. the kakimoto sounds good too not as loud as blitz but close

#9 ·
TXS Stealthback mated to a Prodrive on my car gets my blood pumping. I LOVE it when it's growlin'. :D It's nice and mellow enough not to set off car alarms when I'm putting around though. :D

#11 ·
I love my Blitz, but unfortunately I haven't heard the Kakimoto in person yet. I do want to hear the Blitz Nur Spec Touring, which is supposedly much more quieter.

The new Vishnu exhaust has a very nice tone to it as well :)

#13 ·
verbal said:
Why did you get rid of your Nur Spec anyway? Are you back to stock exhaust?
I sold my Blitz Nur Spec axle-back so I could get the Blitz Nur Spec R cat-back :) I'm still very much a Blitz man :D

#14 ·
I had the HKS Carbon TI exhaust, but now have an Apexi GT Spec exhaust. I like the sound of the Apex better. Sounds a little more aggressive than the HKS did. No regrets here so far. ;)

#16 ·
bedabi said:
An oldermodel, blue Impreza L passed by me at the Danbury Mall this past weekend with what I believe to be a Blitz exhaust. That was the WORST exhaust note I've ever heard - like one of my dog's wet farts.
That's strange, RS_NW had a Blitz exhaust on his RS and it sounded great...nothing like that :(

#19 ·
The first thing I put on my car was a Borla cat back. On a stock car it sounds absolutely phenominal in my opinion.

Once I did my TurboXS up-pipe, ScoobySport down-pipe, ScoobySport catless center section is got considerably louder. I love loud cars so it's not a problem for me. However I can see some people considering it objectionable. But I'm one of those weirdo's who drives around with his radio off so he can hear the motor.

On a stock car I can recommend the Borla to anyone. If you have (or plan on doing) an up-pipe/down-pipe/catless center section, only do the Borla if you like loud exhaust.

#20 ·
exhaust sound

I like my APS sound you can hear here. I think it's deep and mellow below 3,000 rpm, but pretty wicked when the boost ladies are dancing. And no, I haven't set off any car alarms with it. :D

#21 ·
Personally I like my Greddy. Louder at idle than stock but not so loud as to be like every ricer out there with a race muffler and nothing else making all sorts of noise and going nowhere slow. I figure once I remove two cats sans up+down pipes it'll increase th db's to a nice but police friendly level.

However, the HKS and blitz both make more power vs the Greddy but I was concerned with being too loud.

#22 ·
I'd just like to add for anyone who is new to Subarus, the boxer engines that Subaru use produce an inherantly different sound than any other type of engine. If you've heard a Porsche's engine before, it'll be very similar. With that said, no matter what exhaust you get, it WILL sound different from any Honda, Toyota, DSM, F-Body, etc. How does it sound different? Well, the best way to describe it is it sounds more like a thundering rumble or a V8 than a bumblebee or higher-pitched sound. For example, an older gentleman in a brand new M3 pulled up next to me one day and told me "Wow, your car sounds like it's got a V8 in there!" :D

#23 ·
ReXoRaMa said:

However, the HKS and blitz both make more power vs the Greddy but I was concerned with being too loud.
Why didnt you buy the Scooby Sport..
Not LOUD At ALL..And very very good sound:D
And the HP gains are very good.
I think i would list Scooby Sport as a Quiet exhaust.
Anyone knows if a Blitz Cat back would make more power than the Scooby Sport for exemple??Are the difference in cat back gains this big?
Thanks
Tuca
Verdugo..Now that i have my Scooby Sport i know what you are talking about,,with the stock muffler the volume is very low so you cant hear properly the boxer engine,,almost dead low.
Now it sounds a bit like my Dodge Dakota V8,,Yes it sounds like a BIG V8:D :D :D But not loud at all.

#24 ·
5Zigen for sure. With no cats it's deeper at idle and very quiet. While cruising you can't even hear it until WOT where it just sounds mean. If you want something you can rev at a light and scare somebody it's not the exhaust for you but if you like a quiet muffler that still blings then you will love it.

#26 ·
Couple of faves...

TXS Stealthback with no cats sounds really nice, quiet but nice. Very Porsche, mechanical-like sound. One cat is quieter but still sounds good.

TXS w/cat w/Prodrive Axleback - No one's tried this before but I bet it would sound nice:D

Stock exhaust w/ Prodrive Axleback

Stock exhaust w/ Stromung Axleback

M2 turboback w/ dual outlets

As you can tell I like quieter exhausts, but my favorite loud ones are:

Stock exhaust w/ Blitz Nur-spec R

Borla catback

TXS w/ no cats and Prodrive or Stromung axleback

Just my opinions, haven't heard every exhuast but heard quite a lot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.