Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in CA and I do not want to touch the emissions system.
But after driving VTEC for several years I find the exhaust note of the WRX pretty boring.
What could I do to make the car sound better and maybe add a few hp?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My guess is an Axel back, shouldn't effect emissions and it will change the sound like you want, and could give anywhere from 1-7 hp according to tests done by SCC. I myself am in the same boat, I don't want to have to worry about emissions and I hope I can still pass Virginia emissions with a Godspeed Uppipe and a Prodrive Axel back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just mix in a 10% concentration of ethanol in the gas, and it should releive any worries of dirty emissions,

anyway, fairfawk only will harass icy hot sTuNtAz in civics and other riced out honda atrocities, as byproduct from FnF.....

but FnFII is coming soon and will be featuring scoobies a-plenty, will you gentlemen be clowned in the same manner oO?

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
SInce Cali does a visual check on everything, I mean everything, make sure whatever you're doing has one of those EPA certification numbers, or whatever it's called.

Cali is very strict on mods, if the certification number(s) aren't listed in plain view, consider the emissions test to be automatically failed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Go for the STi exhaust if you want axle-back, expensive but will yield 8hp, which is unheard of from just an axle-back.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Move to another state. The great Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't even sniff test here where I live. Inspection costs $10. And if you think any one of these NASCAR lovin' mechanics knows my up and downpipes are now cat free, you're dreaming.

Though I'm still proud to be a "Yankee".

·
Registered
33 Posts
tan said:
SInce Cali does a visual check on everything, I mean everything, make sure whatever you're doing has one of those EPA certification numbers, or whatever it's called.
I think your refering to the CARB E.O. number

·
Registered
33 Posts
FUNKED1 said:
I live in CA and I do not want to touch the emissions system.
But after driving VTEC for several years I find the exhaust note of the WRX pretty boring.
What could I do to make the car sound better and maybe add a few hp?
I thought I would miss my VTEC but I like the sound of the Scooby better. I had an Apexi N1 on my teg and loved how it sounded, but like I said I like the sound of this 2.0 boxer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
50 state legal exhaust.

I have tanabe super racing medallion.
It sounds great and it is 50 state legal exhaust. They'll give you sticker and paper saying that it is. Show it to the cop and they'll let you go. It's a cat back and easy to install!
Good luck choosing your exhaust.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
russ said:
Move to another state. The great Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't even sniff test here where I live. Inspection costs $10. And if you think any one of these NASCAR lovin' mechanics knows my up and downpipes are now cat free, you're dreaming.

Though I'm still proud to be a "Yankee".
Except if you live in Fairfax & Arlington Counties, City of Manasssas and Manassas Park.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts