ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am in the military and i have a wrx. I have the Invidia G200 Turboback Exhaust, i just found out when i get to California i am going to have to do a Smog check and a vehicle inspection. My question what downpipe should i get to pass my smog check/vehicle inspection, and would i be able to put my other down pipe on after my inspection?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,210 Posts
ok i am in the military and i have a wrx. I have the Invidia G200 Turboback Exhaust, i just found out when i get to California i am going to have to do a Smog check and a vehicle inspection.
Really? Federal personnel on active assignment are not allowed to maintain whatever registration their vehicles already bear from their home states?

The stock downpipe will of course work. Any downpipe lacking a cat will make the vehicle illegal anywhere in the United States, not just CA. Inspections are every two years or only during transfer of ownership depending on the particular county.

Make sure you need CA plates first.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I believe most places in California will actually check the numbers printed on the CAT itself - so even if you blew pure air, you will still fail because you replaced the factory CAT with one not on the "approved" list.

No high-flow CAT is on the "approved" list.

I was able to take my stock DP off, and put my COBB on in just about 45 minutes (6 hours the first time, but once I knew where all the bolts/tricks were...). You might want to consider this as an option.

·
29,210 Posts
Before shopping for exhausts (your car is illegal as is, where is anyway) see if you can sort out what this means, as I cannot:

"Nonresident Military Personnel

Any nonresident owner of a vehicle registered in a foreign state and a member of the U.S. armed forces or spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces on active duty within this state. Any person on continuous active duty in the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard is considered military personnel. This does not include civilian personnel employed by a branch of the armed forces."

If you are nonresident military personnel, your vehicle need not be registered in CA. I've no clue if you are considered nonresident or not though.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Really? Federal personnel on active assignment are not allowed to maintain whatever registration their vehicles already bear from their home states?

The stock downpipe will of course work. Any downpipe lacking a cat will make the vehicle illegal anywhere in the United States, not just CA. Inspections are every two years or only during transfer of ownership depending on the particular county.

Make sure you need CA plates first.
Any aftermarket downpipe that uses a high-flow CAT is illegal anywhere in the US. Most states aren't as crazy about the mandate as Cali though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes. Your best bet is to just borrow someone else's stock dp if you can find one locally. Swap it in, smog, swap it out.

·
29,210 Posts
Maybe. It should not. The tech could be comatose though. Any CEL will fail though.

Who are "they?"

·
Registered
6 Posts
technically you dont need cali plates. the only reason i should have to smog your car is to get base stickers... you should look more into it before you end up with cali plates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm currently stationed in the Navy in San Diego but I have my vehicles registered in Oklahoma. My truck would not pass smog in California but since it is registered elsewhere I don't have to worry about it. I don't have to have a smog check to get base stickers either. This is kind of a sticky point because some base pass and decal offices require them while others don't.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've been stationed at 4 different bases in my military career and had never had to get the cars registered in the state I was in . Plus I never had to get any smog tests to get base stickers either . Since your active duty u dnt need to register your car in the state that your stationed as long as your home of record is somewhere else , like me my home of record is fl and im stationed in tx . So I dnt need to register my car in Texas . Same thing while I was stationed in colo , and as for cali , my brother was stationed in Cali and never had an issue either and he has an 05. Just kept his car registered through fl . U do have to have insurance in the state your in own though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use a Stock Downpipe. Ca smog techs are required to cross check numbers on your cat. Make sure its a Dp for your year and make probably too( idk if 02/03 cat numbers would be the same as for 04/07).

But all in all you shouldn't have to register it in Ca unless you are a permanent resident here...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts