ClubWRX Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
6,501 Posts
I am completely new to owning a Subaru; I ordered my 2015 WRX in September and should be taking delivery in mid-December. These are my questions:

1. Is a catback exhaust much more of a power improvement/sound difference than an axleback?
2. If so, then is the catback really worth the extra money over a catback?
3. Which catbacks, and which axlebacks would you guys reccomend?

I've listened to countless stuff on YouTube, but hearing it in person seems to be different. I'm looking for mid loudness, with a nice low, powerful rumble.

Thanks for reading, and any input!
1) It does have a slight performance gain if ran alone,but generally if ran in tandem with an aftermarket downpipe is where most of the benefits are.
2) Wha???????????
3) Nameless Performance or Invidia Q300

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I meant to say: is a catback worth the extra money over an axleback?
I would go for a turbo back and tune. With cat back and axle back you're really only going to have sound improvement, not performance improvements. I have always been partial to Borla as far exhausts go. Not sure if they have anything out for the 2015 yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I were to do, say Cobb stage 1, would an off the shelf map work for a non Cobb exhaust? I've been reading on their forums something about non Cobb parts not working without a custom tune. Again, sorry if these are noob questions. I've never modified anything before

·
Super Modulator
19,407 Posts
If I were to do, say Cobb stage 1, would an off the shelf map work for a non Cobb exhaust? I've been reading on their forums something about non Cobb parts not working without a custom tune. Again, sorry if these are noob questions. I've never modified anything before
Catback exhaust has little influence on an otherwise stock car. Stage 1 map will be fine with any catback

·
6,501 Posts
Read Cobb's maps notes. All of the info is on their site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up a 2010 WRX Sedan and currently it has a Perrin Catback. I was wondering if I should get a cat-less down pipe installed? Any recommendations or advice?! Kind of new to the whole car scene! Thanks in advance!

·
Village Idiot
3,469 Posts
I just picked up a 2010 WRX Sedan and currently it has a Perrin Catback. I was wondering if I should get a cat-less down pipe installed? Any recommendations or advice?! Kind of new to the whole car scene! Thanks in advance!
Start reading up on this thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/134325261-first-modifications-what-do-not-do.html

Any downpipe modification will require a tune. Also, catless downpipes have a pretty good chance of causing boost creep in the 08-14 WRX's and 08+ STI's. This is a serious problem and can only be fixed by doing one of two things: Buying and installing an external wastegate setup (roughly another $700) plus you will need a professional tune as there are no OTS maps that support external wastegate setups; or you can just spend the extra $150 and buy a catted downpipe off the bat and save yourself the trouble. Either way, you need some sort of tune whether it be an OTS map with the Cobb AccessPort and a catted downpipe, or it be a professional tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Start reading up on this thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/134325261-first-modifications-what-do-not-do.html

Any downpipe modification will require a tune. Also, catless downpipes have a pretty good chance of causing boost creep in the 08-14 WRX's and 08+ STI's. This is a serious problem and can only be fixed by doing one of two things: Buying and installing an external wastegate setup (roughly another $700) plus you will need a professional tune as there are no OTS maps that support external wastegate setups; or you can just spend the extra $150 and buy a catted downpipe off the bat and save yourself the trouble. Either way, you need some sort of tune whether it be an OTS map with the Cobb AccessPort and a catted downpipe, or it be a professional tune.
So its recommended that I get a catted downpipe instead? Right off the bat?

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's more worry free. Like McBill said, the 08-14 has a very high risk of boost creep if you run a catless downpipe. I have catless DP and a custom tune and din't experience any creep, however I didn't drive the car very much before purchasing an external wastegate set-up (for around $500) and also didn't really romp on the car because I drive like a granny. Long story short, getting a catted DP wouldn't be a bad idea. I believe it's all a matter of your budget and how many car-related headaches you want; regardless of the direction you go, the car will sound and perform much better! Enjoy!

·
Village Idiot
3,469 Posts
It's recommended to do whatever you feel will satisfy your wants and needs most. I was just simply educating you on the likely outcomes of a catless downpipe. Now if it's in your future plans to have a build that will call for an external wastegate then I would consider the catless downpipe. But honestly if you weren't planning to go much further than your basic "stage 2" levels then I would go catted. There is a negligible difference in power between a catless and catted downpipe at your basic "stage 2" level. I forgot to mention that if you state requires you pass emissions inspections then forget about the catless downpipe all together. Anyhow, decide what you want to do based on your budget. Don't forget you will need a tune for either route and that will be an added expense. That expense will vary depending on what tuning route you decide to go.

·
Super Modulator
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you all so much for the help. its my goal to get the COBB Accessport and have the car tuned, however I'm having trouble deciding what DP to get! These are all catted, and all 3" so I dont think I should have a problem connecting it to my Perrin CB (Also 3"). My question is, do I need to tune right away after getting the downpipe, or can I enjoy just the downpipe and purchase the accessport and get it tuned later?

The possible DP's I'm looking at:

- GrimmSpeed LIMITED Downpipe Divorced Ceramic Coated Catted Subaru WRX 2008-2014 / STI 2008-2015 / Forester XT 2009-2013 / Legacy GT MT 2005-2009 007098 at RallySportDirect.com

- Invidia Downpipe Catted Divorced Wastegate w/ 2 Bungs Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2014 WRX / 2008-2015 STI) HS08SW1DOC at RallySportDirect.com

- COBB Tuning Downpipe Catted Bellmouth Subaru WRX 2008-2014 / STI 2008-2015 / Forester XT 2009-2011 / Legacy GT MT 2005-2009 524202 at RallySportDirect.com

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Do not ever drive a car with an improper tune. As soon as you get the dp on, tune it
Worst case scenario is if you need a protune and installed parts yourself you can try to get an e tune to basically get you to the dyno for a proper tune
Other than that the dp is personal preference

·
Village Idiot
3,469 Posts
My question is, do I need to tune right away after getting the downpipe, or can I enjoy just the downpipe and purchase the accessport and get it tuned later?
Tune and downpipe at the same time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have much experience with M7 exhaust? Someone is offering it to me for $750 one year used and I haven't been able to find too much info. How's the loudness, drone, and fitment? Think that's a good price? Thanks for the help need to make a decision on it quickly! 2012 WRX

·
For External Use Only
3,886 Posts
Anyone have much experience with M7 exhaust? Someone is offering it to me for $750 one year used and I haven't been able to find too much info. How's the loudness, drone, and fitment? Think that's a good price? Thanks for the help need to make a decision on it quickly! 2012 WRX
Never heard of it.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
It's a $2,000+ exhaust new. You should buy it and sell it if not keep it.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts