ClubWRX Forum banner

101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
Hey quick question. I was thinking about running straight pipes from the cat instead of doing an exhaust system. My only fear is that I won't have enough back pressure and it may lose torque and horsepower. I've got a 2014 WRX. I'm thinking because of the turbo, back pressure loss may be minimal to none. What do you guys think I should do?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
No loss in torque. Turbo is still the bottleneck.

·
UnBanned
17,655 Posts
Hey quick question. I was thinking about running straight pipes from the cat instead of doing an exhaust system. My only fear is that I won't have enough back pressure and it may lose torque and horsepower. I've got a 2014 WRX. I'm thinking because of the turbo, back pressure loss may be minimal to none. What do you guys think I should do?
Torque loss in a naturally aspirated engine from lack of back pressure is in the low RPM range.

In a turbo engine the turbo isn't spooled up where the torque loss would be, so the turbo is creating plenty of back pressure. That eliminates the torque loss problem that is found in a NA engine due to lack of back pressure

·
Registered
17 Posts
Odd question, what is the stock exhaust made of? Mild steel or SS? I ask because I have a more elegant muffler delete idea for my hatch than what is offered (mainly b/c this will be a weld in thing, not bolt on). Just don't have the car with me to go out and tell...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a stock 2011 STI sedan and am looking at the invidia q300 catback. Can I safely run the exhaust without reprogramming (w/ an accessport) the car as long as it's the only mod? I plan on doing more and know that I will need to get a V3 in the future; I was just wondering for the time being if it was fine.

·
MAINEiac
3,255 Posts
I have a stock 2011 STI sedan and am looking at the invidia q300 catback. Can I safely run the exhaust without reprogramming (w/ an accessport) the car as long as it's the only mod? I plan on doing more and know that I will need to get a V3 in the future; I was just wondering for the time being if it was fine.
If it is just the catback then you don't need to tune. If you change to a high flow downpipe than you need to tune.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whats the opinions on full custom turbo back compared to a kit from say Cobb or Tanabe?
they are expensive.

I went stage two for cheaper than a cobb kit or perrin.

I paid exactly $1,772 for my V3 Accessport, Invidia catted DP, Invidia Dual N1 Titanium catback.

Perrin's kit is like $2,300 and cobb is over 2k I believe.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whats the opinions on full custom turbo back compared to a kit from say Cobb or Tanabe?
they are expensive.

I paid exactly $1,772 for my V3 Accessport, Invidia catted DP, Invidia Dual N1 Titanium catback.

·
Registered
150 Posts
they are expensive.

Damn, so best bet is to just get the custom one built and buy the muffler huh.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Interesting observation on my car. Put a nameless catback on and ever since then the 2015's fuel economy calculator has shown lower fuel economy. Not by a ton, but has made it more accurate in a sense. (as in, before if I averaged a true 26mpg, the computer would say 29. Now if I average 25mpg, the computer may say 26).
Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am completely new to owning a Subaru; I ordered my 2015 WRX in September and should be taking delivery in mid-December. These are my questions:

1. Is a catback exhaust much more of a power improvement/sound difference than an axleback?
2. If so, then is the catback really worth the extra money over a catback?
3. Which catbacks, and which axlebacks would you guys reccomend?

I've listened to countless stuff on YouTube, but hearing it in person seems to be different. I'm looking for mid loudness, with a nice low, powerful rumble.

Thanks for reading, and any input!

101 - 120 of 162 Posts