Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking into exhausts and came accross this. If you haven't heard of it it owrks like this. It's a splitting valve that goes at the beginning of your exhaust (before the catilletic converters). You have a handle under teh dash you can pull to switch the valve so it will bypass teh entire exhaust and just basically blow right out of the engine. i was thinking about this so I could get the max exhaust performance and be able to keep a street legal car.

Opinions? Experiences? What do yall think?

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
it sounds like a dumper. highly illegal. my friend had them on his 71 chevelle SS. VRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMM

sounds great, and it definitley eliminates all bottlenecks. :)

but its loud like hell, and some pretty dark stinky smoke comes out from under your car when they are open. but you definitely can't drive around with them open unless at a track. he got all sorts of tickets.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. I was only planning on using it when racing someone. that is, if I got one. I'm still undecided on whether or not to just get that or pay hundreds of more dollars on exhaust work so the car could be daily drivable with the extra horsepower. From what I understand though. back pressure actually helps a car get torque though doesn't it? I'm new to the subject of cars, I'm still learning. If this was teh case it would be ideal to leave the valve closed on teh start and then pull it durring or after second gear right?

G

·
If you are planning to utilize this 'down-pipe,' please note that you have to control the boost and prevent any boost pike. Also if I understand it correctly, some back-pressure is good for NA cars, but bad for turbocharged cars. I saw a similar system selling on e-bay, looks interesting.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
get ready to get some tickets if you are planning on doing that. Any exhaust w/o a muffler is loud as HELL, you will probably get a headache from driving it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What do you plan on doing with your ECU to make this work right? Your ECU is set up for back presure and your car will fall flat on its face without it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok....i was just thinking about it. I think I might actualyl just get a good complete exhaust. I do have the money for it but I was just tryign to come up with a way to save a little money for a few extra things

·
Registered
85 Posts
My friend had one on his b16 civic. It was really loud but couldn't really feel anything until high in the rpms. It was closable so he didn't have to drive around with it so loud. The cut leaked when closed so he took it out. I think it is a waste of money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
From my knowledge what your talkin about is a "Y Pipe". Some have levers other are just a plate you swivel at the track which allows you to run the exhaust sright outta the engine. as far as being bad for your car i don't think it would hurt it at all to run 1/4 miles at your local strip, but i wouldn't do a lot more than that due to back pressure concerns... all engines need back pressure, some, like turbos, just need less. and as far as it messin with the ECU i really don't know. I personally would go with a good turbo back exhuast and just run catless, which is what i am going to do, but than again i am from Iowa and there is NO such thing here as emmisions tests or stickers :) JIM

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
term

a "Y" pipe is a car that uses a single exhaust outlet from the manifolds, and splits under the car after the cat.

many pontiacs look like dual exhaust but actually are just using a "Y" pipe. I have delivered and sold a few hundred of those working for my family's business.

I'm pretty sure the term for it is "exhaust dumper". at least, that's the box that my friend used on his chevelle. it was just sealed with a wingnut, and you just had to reach under the car and spin them off.

either way, my $.02 is that its not the best move, ESPECIALLY if you have the cash for a turbo back! call M2 for christ's sake!

DR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts