Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit new to the car mod world. I have a 2013 WRX so far I have done a sf intake, recirculating valve, full 3in catted turbo back exhaust. I want to make my car a little louder when I drive sometimes for fun, but I want to be able to not be obnoxious all the time. I would just do a catless down pipe, but can't due to emissions.
So would a cut out be worth it?
Would it be okay to do it on the down pipe after the cat, or should I do it after the sensors?
Would I need to get a separate tune for when I switch to the cutout?
Is there a risk of boost spikes or something?
Then I guess what would be better, electric or vacuum controlled?

It's a lot of questions, but I'll take all the help and suggestions I can get.

·
Super Moderator
11,536 Posts
A catless downpipe is no more or less illegal than the performance cat in say a cobb catted down pipe.

Personally I wouldn't do it, straight pipes sound like poverty. Anyway, 100% of the emissions laws I've seen outlaw exhaust cutouts so you can listen to that. Otherwise It would be done post downpipe and dump to the side somewhere in the mid pipe area. There are thousands of kits out there but you would need to fabricate piping.

·
Æternum
15,906 Posts
Consider a different cat back.

If the cutout is behind the cat, no tune needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: themojojojo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A catless downpipe is no more or less illegal than the performance cat in say a cobb catted down pipe.

Personally I wouldn't do it, straight pipes sound like poverty. Anyway, 100% of the emissions laws I've seen outlaw exhaust cutouts so you can listen to that. Otherwise It would be done post downpipe and dump to the side somewhere in the mid pipe area. There are thousands of kits out there but you would need to fabricate piping.
Would a high flow catted down pipe make much of a difference, or should i just go with a new exhaust if I'm wanting a louder presence? Obviously without making it sound ricey or like "poverty" hahaha, I'd like to avoid that.

·
Super Moderator
11,536 Posts
I'd follow the advice of zax personally and find a cat back you can enjoy and avoid the straight pipe/exhaust dump. Thats me though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts