Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else run into this problem? I am getting an extreme amount of condensation in my exhaust. So much so that it has rusted-out one of the "twisters" in my BPM Mkiii exhaust. I have checked for leaks in the engine, so I know it is not a bad head gasket or something along that line sending water/coolant through the exhaust.

I am wondering if because of the high operating temps of both the engine and exhaust and the fact that there are 2 post-turbo cats, there may be extra condensation build up.

Any thoughts ???:confused:

Clavo

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tan said:
water vapor is a by-product of combustion.

Do you drive short distances all the time?
No, Most of my drives are 20+ Mi. that sounds short, but in L.A. traffic its usually an hour either way.:(

Clavo

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt

Biggity bump....anyone else with ideas. Perhaps I should have added that this happened within 5k Miles. The car only has 8500 total miles.

Clavo

·
Registered
138 Posts
How can you tell that one of the twisters is rusted out? I have the same exhaust and I get the same condensation, but long drives usually take care of that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You also might want to contact a BPM distributer. I remember hearing a bunch of stuff about how some of their earlier products weren't doing too good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

MisterX- No mods other than K&N filter

Judah- Thanks for the thread, I was over there and tried a search but didn't find that one. The first couple of posts about the Mkiii are exactly my problem. I can put my hand in and move the upper left twister so I know its loose. I also have been getting the run around from "greg" :mad: at BPM.

Clavo

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to hear this ClavoWRX as as you know you bought this off me with only a couple of hundred miles on it.

If there is anything that I can do to assist drop me some mail.

Hope you get a response out of BPM but their service is crap

Michael

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Primary products of combustion include water, various sulfurous compounds, and variants of nitrogen. Removal of cats inreases the concentration of these corrosive gasses. When the gases are combined with water, they from acids, sulfuric annd nitric, which can destroy an exhaust system.

I'd follow the directions to call BPM and allow them to make good on the system warranty.

misterx

·
Registered
138 Posts
God, I hope this doesn't happen to me. $1200 for an exhaust system and you think that it would hold up a little bit better. But mine has been on for about 25,000 miles and I have no problems except the occasional cel.

good luck.
Justin

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
When I first installed my TurboXS Stealth back exhaust, the gasket in between the downpipe and cat was leaking little drips of water, because the gasket is so pourous. But I dried off the gasket, put hi-temp black sealant, and put it back on, and it hasn't leaked any type of moisture since.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts