ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm Tai from Michigan. I'm looking at getting into a Subi sometime soon so I joined ClubWRX to do some research. I just sold my heavily modded Talon TSi and am looking for something to have fun in but be more reliable and function as a daily driver as well. I look forward to learning more about these cars and am anxious to see the differences and similarities between WRX, STi, and DSMs.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Welcome to the club man...You'll find out just about anything you need to know here

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet. Subies in the SLC. My friend had an 04 WRX that we would take to lunch when we worked together. Michigan winters can get pretty gnarly, but that car was so fun... kinda what made me want one so I can drive it in the winter since it was way more practical than the Talon.

Maybe a wagon so I can use the factory rack for boards in the winter. Any peformance differences between the sedan and wagon models for 02-05?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sweet. Subies in the SLC. My friend had an 04 WRX that we would take to lunch when we worked together. Michigan winters can get pretty gnarly, but that car was so fun... kinda what made me want one so I can drive it in the winter since it was way more practical than the Talon.

Maybe a wagon so I can use the factory rack for boards in the winter. Any peformance differences between the sedan and wagon models for 02-05?
Just weight....my friend has an 02 wagon with same mods as my 03 sedan minus uppipe and i beat him pretty good everytime

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the club! :)

Any peformance differences between the sedan and wagon models for 02-05?
No not really. There are some minor differences in the suspension. The drivetrains are identical. I think the wagons might be a tad heavier. You can install wider tires and wheels on the sedan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I've never ridden in a wagon, or even seen one for sale around here so I could check it out. KBB.com says the wagon is almost 2in higher (suspended different?), and about 80lbs heavier...hmm. With weight like that in a purpose built vehicle, it would be an issue... but not in a quick street car used for DD. At least for me.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Welcome to the club!!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I have the wagon.. it has 3X the cargo capacity of the sedan. Don't be fooled by the trunk on the sedan - all the room in the world doesn't help if you can't even get what you want in it because the opening is so small!

That said - the sedan is SO much nicer looking (my opinion). I have the wagon so I can fit my fishing poles (and it was the only 07 new WRX I could find with the Limited package - I needed leather!).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Welcome! You'll be thrilled with the reliability of Subaru.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy crap, I've just read all 17 pages of the WRX tranny problem thread. I dunno if I wanna throw my cash into another money pit... maybe I should have kept the Talon. They have glass trannys too, but at least I had all the go fast bits taken care of. Oh well. I guess now I'll have to turn my attention to the STi and see what horror stories I hear about them.

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
welcome:)

the 5spd trannies are fine(if u know how to use em) just dont be hard launching /dropping the clutch at TL's above 4k in 1st :p

i have a friend who changed his stock clutch on a daily driven stge 4 '02 wrx at 140k miles !

my old '02 269/272tq to wheels driven to 89k miles had no issues

still if yer worried , get a STI

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The STi is def a possibility. The deciding factor is going to be price, obviously, but also having a car that quick in stock form= reliable in my eyes. I used to want the biggest baddest car possible to drive on the street. The Talon was no joke, but it did leave something to be desired in the practicality department. Now I figure as long as the car is decently quick, it'll be fun on the street and double as an autoX machine. There's a lot to weigh.
Also, finding one to test drive is going to be a chore.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the wagon.. it has 3X the cargo capacity of the sedan. Don't be fooled by the trunk on the sedan - all the room in the world doesn't help if you can't even get what you want in it because the opening is so small!

That said - the sedan is SO much nicer looking (my opinion). I have the wagon so I can fit my fishing poles (and it was the only 07 new WRX I could find with the Limited package - I needed leather!).
Big enough to fit a keg back there. What else could you need?

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Yeah, enough cargo room to haul the replacement tranny I'll have to buy
to show my age... enough cargo room to temporarily put the child-seats in the rear to make room for passengers taller than 2.5 feet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess one could ask if there was enough room under your hatch for a new short block after crank walk?

Don't let the the tranny issue scare you. Find a WRX that hasnt been modded and dont drive it fat fisted. You mentioned the snow and a WRX really is a car you can have an absolute blast in all year long. Backroads/dirtroads in the summer and killing it in the snow all winter long. Lots of trans friendly fun to be had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha, I did the 6 bolt swap/stroker before that happened. But get this: I gave my stock 7bolt crank to a buddy who was rebuilding his 2g... and it walked on him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts