ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start modding my wrx soon, what would I have to buy in order to keep up with a stock evo?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Turboback exhaust + uppipe + Engine management + SKILLS

·
Registered
807 Posts
I got everything INSTALLED for $1400.

That netted me about 280 hp/tq

·
Registered
675 Posts
STOCK trannies are going with heavy launches... so just dont do 5k launches. and the tbe and uppipe is nothing without tuning.

·
Registered
675 Posts
depends on the evo, believe it or not, (highly active member in SoCalEvo community) the Evolution RS is the one that you should be worried about that's bone stock. The lightest edition, power nothing, no stereo, alluminum roof, all oriented for a performance set up. Every number put up on magazines are based off of the RS's performance, even the MR Evo is slow, except on the track.

I have dp/up cat back with cobb stage 1, i can match the evo in 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd he pulls on me, and in 4th he's gone. The newer evo's run a 16g turbo with 10.5 housing. and can pull in top end. With my rally cat, IC hoses and reflash, pulling an evo until 4th should be no problem, but since our stock turbo runs outta oomph, they're going to womp on you in top end. Touge runs or on the track, it's a battle of skills power usually doesn't matter until that point. Watch out for the RS, good way to tell, they are the only evo's that don't come with the huge rear spoiler, and only come in Red and White color.

RS w/ turbo back, Apexi SAFC, injectors, pump, FMIC upgrade with HKS 272 cams will wail on you all day long until you get a bigger turbo, no way around it, trust me, i've tried.

·
Registered
762 Posts
qball7186 said:
I'm going to start modding my wrx soon, what would I have to buy in order to keep up with a stock evo?
why would u just want to keep up with them? don't u want to beat them? i would get one of the rotated mount gt-30r turbo and other supporting mods and you'll kill them. ;) u will not be dissappointed with this new found power. go big, or go home. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my friend has an evo 8, and we raced yesterday, you know what the outcome was, trying to beat him will cost me too much money, I just want to be able to keep up with him for now

·
Registered
762 Posts
my car is now about the same price as an evo, but way faster. ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
qball7186 said:
my friend has an evo 8, and we raced yesterday, you know what the outcome was, trying to beat him will cost me too much money, I just want to be able to keep up with him for now
Was his evo stock? If so it doesnt take very much to be able to get the wrx to stay dead even. Like metioned tbe, uppipe, and engine management and you are right there inching by it. With the setup I have I can beat modded evo's, albeit not very modded but exhaust, engine management evo's I can inch by. Total money in engine mods to my car, about $1800

·
Registered
675 Posts
An evo can spend 1200 bucks and make 300 to the wheels. With bolt on applications.
It's a totally different car and I respect it a lot for what it is.If you want to bare even with it, get an STi. The evo is a beast. end of story, and why am i running stage 1 mapping, cause i'm a broke ass foo and saving for a ECUtek reflash lol...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tuning... dont forget to get tuned. All the bolt ons in the world wont help a bit if you dont get it tuned...
Find a local shop that can tune a WRX, and pay them. Its absolutely worth the money. Of course, alot of us can do our own tuning, but a profesional will always get the best results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts