Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Mods-AEM Intake, SAFCII with BR settings, a MBC with 19.5PSI to redline, and a grounding kit :rolleyes: These mods give me approx. 310 CRANK HP or about 280WHP.

STI- 100% Stock

Oh man, am I GLAD I HAVE A 5-speed for the 1st time in my life, but more on that later......

Today was a great day, clear, not a cloud in the Sky, and COLD, like 45 degrees so the EVO is massviely responsive and there is no heat soak. I work down in South Jerzy in Marlton, I got out in my EVO for lunch and warmed her up on RT 73 then headed north to get to the Cherry Hill Mall for lunch. Traffic is thick as usual but I can navigate my way through it. I get to the light by the 295 intersection, pass a BIG Rig on the right, and see a BLK STI to my left, it was just the hood and I see that oh so revealing Hood scoop, its on, oh, he sees me, and NAILS it like I just told him too, we both know whats up. Being that the far left lane was the only lane open, and he had that lane, he had the lead, so I make my way accross two lanes WOT all the way left up his ass the entire way we get to tripple digts, he had the jump but I was right back up his ass.

I pretty much mirror his moves off by 15 Feet all the way to the on ramp to the Cherry Hill Mall. He takes the exit at normal speeds, and then cuts it way accross the white paint entrance in an attempt to lose me, I was thinking he might do that and I do the same without missing a step, both take it up to 100 ++ in the far left lane, only lane open at the time, we pass all traffic and what is this?????

He SLows way down, moves over to the center lane (3 lanes now ) and wants to talk, cool I thought, and here we are talking at 20MPH rolling down the road.

He asked me what BOV I had. I said stock, he says damn that is loud and how he almost got an EVO, he said that we handle better to in his opinion. I told him I like the look of his car as it looks more serious then mine and we BS, talk about this site, and some GoddSpeed mods.

We get to a light and talk for so long it turns green before we can race, so we take off real slow.

and then I ask "Hey man wana go from a roll?"

RACE #1

We are both doing 30MPH, I am in 2nd and right at my sweet spot, I say go but Me thinks I had a jump start as it was over before it began, my turbo spooled instantly as he rowed, and I was 3-4 lengths ahead by 100MPH, couldn't be. I did pull away quite easilly, he only lost ground.

So we slow way down and try again, he asks if I am in 2nd and I say yes, I tell him to go and this time I wait for him to nail it.

RACE#2

Somehow, some way, we both start off and hit max boost at the EXACT SAME TIME, so all is fair.

We move in unison, for about 2 seconds, where he has to shift (so soon? Man those are some short gears) and falls back a half a car length. I run 2nd out to 60MPH at 8000RPMS and he is at his 3rd shift to 60mph.

Much like DSM's, on the EVO 3rd gear is the killer and is TALL, I run it from 60 to damn near 100MPH, where he slowly but surely falls behind as he shifts and now on a roll falls back and continues to fall.

I dump it into 4th for good measure and continue to really pull, he is trying but falling way behind and we both just quit. I had again 3 lengths, but much closer this time as we had an even start, Meaning it took me longer and Higher speeds to get to my same 3 length victory. But after 100MPH teh STI just had no real pull.

We get back to a slow roll to talk, I tell him my mods and he says, MAN I KNOW, you should see what a exhaust will get you, I said next week I get one which is true, I get a BR 3.0 turbo back, $700 and 30-40WHP, get my traps up to 110. I also got my eye on some 15 pound wheels.

He then goes on his way, I get my lunch, man nice car, has the low end grunt and gets that immediate throttle response but that topend just begins to lack, I think it is the stock turbo, just not fair for you guys, I would like to see what this thing would do with a 50 TRIM and 20PSI.

Good Fight, Good Night, and BTW EAGLES WIN, yeah...:D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Awesome story. You happen to catch if he was on these boards? Another question, 310crank hp and 280whp shows about a ~10% drivetrain loss. Is that the case with the evo's!?

Good runs :D

·
Banned
968 Posts
310 does NOT = 280 whp on the EVO.

Put the boost to 21 :).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well atleast 275WHP, That is what MANY EVO Buddies run with these exact mods, actually less modded.

The Buschur Racing Setup involves only a K&N Style filter, I actually have the 3.0 MASS Pipe and the grounding kit which actually keeps voltage static and keeps the spark full power. My intake is MASSIVELY Loud and you can hear the turbo over Anything.

He is not on these boards, he is on the other Scooby Board, the international one.

Evos have about 15%, but it isn't a consistant loss, the Evo makes 270HP stock, and in proper forum puts down 235WHP, my mods add 40WHP, so I guess on my crank, but should be over 300 and would have to by beating the car that I did.

Remember, your Tranny ALLWAYS absorbs teh same ponys to turn those wheels, if you up the power, your % loss uniformly drops,

Think about this.

My Evo puts 235 WHP and makes 271 Crank, so that is a 13% loss, VERY LIGHT Drivetrain, and thsi has been proven with wheel dynos.

Now Lets say I Make 400WHP, is my tranny that just stole 35 HP gona somehow get greedy and then steal 52 HP? I doubt it, same loss, the the % drops as we move up the WHP latter.

Put the boost to 21 .

FUEL CUT< Maybe if I was in GA, I woyuldn't have this problem, it is ****ing cold, below freezing right now, I bet 19.5 PSI at 30 is just as good as 21 at 70 degrees.

Thanks for the space.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Did you know the nitrous FMIC spray for the EVO gives it 56 whp?

/Hijack.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Evilevo8, you said you rapped your car up to 8krpm in 2nd gear. I dont think thats possible because you should get fuel cut around 7300rpm. I have the complete Buschur Racing stage 1 on my Evo and fuel cuts somewhere around 7300rpm.
I dont know, maybe you have Al's REV flash you forgot to mention.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
GREDDY said:
Evilevo8, you said you rapped your car up to 8krpm in 2nd gear. I dont think thats possible because you should get fuel cut around 7300rpm. I have the complete Buschur Racing stage 1 on my Evo and fuel cuts somewhere around 7300rpm.
I dont know, maybe you have Al's REV flash you forgot to mention.
It redlines at 7800 I thought :confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel cut for me is at 7800 RPMS, I got bord and decided to find out when, accordinging to my Tach I wa slightly past 8000 RPMS, I pulled over and checked my Log on the SAFC.

It says max rpms were 7800RPMS. Which one is correct, I duno but the 8000 sounds a lot cooler.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would expect an EVO with those mods to out run a stock STi. Those mods make a huge improvement on an EVO.
With just a turboxs high performance boost controller, I shaved a 1/2 second off my 1/8 mile times in my 02 WRX.

You made a comment about the STi not having any top end. Compared to your modded EVO, maybe yes. But stock vs stock the STi has a much better top end than the EVO.

I personally watched a stock EVO race a stock STi and the STi started walking away from the EVO at about 80mph.

But yes, the STi does have a small turbo, but that along with the variable valve timing, and its larger displacement, gives it great power and throttle responce off boost. Thats something the EVO has very little of.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would love to race your modded Evo. Its just not fair picking on a stock sti. Pick on someone your own size, like my car :) ....I raced an Evo w/safc and intake and put 2 cars on him by 90mph. I love the Evo though....

·
Registered
77 Posts
13secwrx said:
I would love to race your modded Evo. Its just not fair picking on a stock sti. Pick on someone your own size, like my car :) ....I raced an Evo w/safc and intake and put 2 cars on him by 90mph. I love the Evo though....
I got the dibs on the second race!:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Kewl Mang, racin is fun. This weekend I go for my Buschur Racing exhaust, and I'll get some light wheels atached to all season tires for the winter.

The exhaust coupled with these mods brings my traps to 110 or anout a 12.4 if I can get outa the hole, after that I plan on the upper IC pipe and a 1G BOV, after that you can safely hold boost to 21PSI, and get my traps up to 116, I can't wait.

But yeah modded Vs. stock not fair, whatamigna do so.

ohhhh wait, I am modded, come back when your modded and we'll go. I feel my Evo is less then stock from the factory. It is missing 30WHP right from japan, also a gear, I got back 40, so I am up 10 HP then the Sti.

Again good race, I loved every second of it, it just felt right.

I personally watched a stock EVO race a stock STi and the STi started walking away from the EVO at about 80mph.
Evo would eventually pass, it has a higher top speed and won't detonate as much as the turbo is far from being maxed out at 16PSI and the A/F is so rich my stock exhaust was black within a week. Just making it static to 19 PSI was a big help, but this is how it should be in a turbo car, damn Mitsu Techs...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Evilevo8 said:
Kewl Mang, racin is fun. This weekend I go for my Buschur Racing exhaust, and I'll get some light wheels atached to all season tires for the winter.

The exhaust coupled with these mods brings my traps to 110 or anout a 12.4 if I can get outa the hole, after that I plan on the upper IC pipe and a 1G BOV, after that you can safely hold boost to 21PSI, and get my traps up to 116, I can't wait.

But yeah modded Vs. stock not fair, whatamigna do so.

ohhhh wait, I am modded, come back when your modded and we'll go. I feel my Evo is less then stock from the factory. It is missing 30WHP right from japan, also a gear, I got back 40, so I am up 10 HP then the Sti.

Again good race, I loved every second of it, it just felt right.

Evo would eventually pass, it has a higher top speed and won't detonate as much as the turbo is far from being maxed out at 16PSI and the A/F is so rich my stock exhaust was black within a week. Just making it static to 19 PSI was a big help, but this is how it should be in a turbo car, damn Mitsu Techs...

Yes, the EVO would eventually pass but only at 150mph or so when the STi hits it electronic speed limiter. I also don't know too many people who are going to be racing at 150+mph. But guys have already gone 155mph in their STi's. It seems the speed limiter isn't set at the same speed on all cars. You can go to NASICO and do a search of STi top speeds. There are quite a few STis that have gone in the 155 range before hitting the limiter. As soon as we get some sort of engine management to over ride the limiter , the car will easily go 160+mph. Its geared for it. In stock form (without the speed limiter) an STi definately has a higher top speed than an EVO.
Car and Driver hit 130mph 4 full seconds faster in an STi. They also hit 122mph on the straight aways compared to 115mph for the EVO. This was a side by side comparison done on the same day by the same driver.
Every EVO owner I've ever talked to will admit that stock vs stock the STi is faster in a straight line.

It has also been pretty much proven that the EVO is a better car in the twisties.

So its STi 1 - EVO 1

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
an STi definately has a higher top speed than an EVO

Nope, Evo 5th gear is taller then the STi, plus the EVo can safely rev past 8000 (7800 fuel cutoff stock but can be flashed to accept 8500 as the engine can do so with such a light rotational mass)

So its STi 1 - EVO 1

Naw we raced twice and I beat him twice, so its EVO 2 - STi 0

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jeez, talk about Lan Evo fan boy. Yes, the Lan Evo is a sweet car, but give credit where it's due. Our base WRXs are geared 160+. Does this mean our car will do it? heck no....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeez, talk about Lan Evo fan boy. Yes, the Lan Evo is a sweet car, but give credit where it's due. Our base WRXs are geared 160+. Does this mean our car will do it? heck no....
I Think the STI looks better then the Evo, More serious, less juvenile, I think teh STi is a WAY better daily driver as the ride is better and the 2.5 is easier to trek along in, throttle respons is better, boost response is instant and therfore low end toque is unmatchable unless I use NOS to spool. Interior Build quality is better.

Sti si better then the Evo in many ways.:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts