ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multiple magazines have reported faster lap times with evos despite the STI's dominance in a straight line (old news). To me this means better handling (to different degrees, depending on who you talk to). The Evo MR will feature lower weight, more power, a six speed, and better handling. The current STI can't compete with this in terms of performance, handling or otherwise.

I am confident that Subaru wants to bring an STI over to the states (eventually) with performance comparable to the EVO MR, but this is not the purpose of my post. Feel is something that the EVO has in spades and I doubt that the new STI (whatever form it takes) will deliver in this respect. The steering wheel needs to be smaller, the ratio quicker, and the feedback better. I suppose that this is possible, but will they do it? Also Subaru needs to stop trying to make sports seats with airbags in them and just drop some Recaros in. This is something that I think would be impossible for Subaru to do since they would view it as decreasing the safety of the car.

I love subaru and I love my gf's WRX that I put probably 20k miles on (some track time too). I honestly like Subaru better as a brand and trust their reliability more. However, when I look at replacements for my Porsche if I give up modding it, I really want something like an Elise, but want to save money and seat five. Driving feel and handling matter the most if I'm going to compromise at all.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
The current STI didnt even handle as well as the reg. evo, and def. wont handle as well as the evoMR. but the sti has always been a few ticks faster than the evo... i am thinking the evo MR will be right next to the sti in acceleration terms, maybe a small step ahead.

whether or not subaru brings a better sti over to compete, i still think the Sti does a good job of competing with even the MR. I think it was more of less mitsu coming out with a car to barely edge out the sti.
IMO, for the price the evoMR is a better car, but then again, you have to take reliability and quality into to play, and it makes both cars very similar.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
606 Posts
Drivers race....It will definitely be a drivers race (on the circuit anyways) I raced one of the racing instructors at the track. He was in my dads Evo, I was in my Rex. My Rex only has Cusco Rear Swaybar and Eibach Springs for suspension mods. The Evo has no suspension mods.

The outcome, well, we battled very closely for laps upon laps, but in the end he wasn't able to make a pass on me. It was close though. (He coulda been holdin back :tongue: )

Now, if the STI handles much better than the WRX (as I hope it should) and the MR has the ACD...I think it will be a good match.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Subaru has their share of marketing guys who try to evaluate what "we the buyers" want. Apparently they marketed the USDM STi to a slightly "softer" buyer than the Evo was aiming for. It's a viable strategy; I have to commute 60 miles a day, and I don't want to do it in a car that's hard as a rock for the track. OTOH, if I were looking for a weekend car, an Evo MR might be just the ticket.

At the end of the day, Subaru has to survive financially. They're going to market the kind of car that they think will sell. Then they might market a limited number of "flagship" cars to engender some excitement. All we can do is hope they continue to offer something that we like...:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EvilCerealBoX said:
i'm sure they got something tucked away until the MR is released...
Of that I am certain. However, better performance does not necessarily a drivers' car make. This is my chief concern and why modern Porsche turbos don't mean much to me while GT2s and GT3s are my favorite cars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
y2ks2k said:
Where are you getting the track times of the Sti Vs Evo? All of my SCCA mags seem to show the Sti mopping everything up!
Comparisons by Sports Car international and I believe Road and Track as well as Car and Driver.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
XtianLA said:
Drivers race....It will definitely be a drivers race (on the circuit anyways) I raced one of the racing instructors at the track. He was in my dads Evo, I was in my Rex. My Rex only has Cusco Rear Swaybar and Eibach Springs for suspension mods. The Evo has no suspension mods.

The outcome, well, we battled very closely for laps upon laps, but in the end he wasn't able to make a pass on me. It was close though. (He coulda been holdin back :tongue: )

Now, if the STI handles much better than the WRX (as I hope it should) and the MR has the ACD...I think it will be a good match.
typically an EVO will out handle an STI, but not by much... the EVO MR is said to handle quite a bit better than the base version... so I think we can expect the evo to have similar acceleration times as an STI, but def. do better in the handling catagory.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
48,699 Posts
godai said:
Lets not forget 05 STi should be greatly improved on the handling department.
Color me ignorant; anyone have a link to the alleged improvements to the suspension of the '05 STi? :confused:

Hadn't heard about that.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
48,699 Posts
Thanks guys!:)

Edit:Upon reading the info, I'm not sure if the '05 STi's suspension is "greatly improved" or just incrementally improved. Still, glad to see that Subaru isn't resting on its laurels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Turbo Maniac said:
The yaw sensor was on the Japanese spec STI...it's not on the USDM STI unfortunately.
How can this be confirmed? I've read in few forums ppl saying we do have it but no where has it been confirmed or denied. I have a 05 btw.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My fault...I though I read is wasn't on the 05 but your right they said it hasn't been confirmed. I had read some threads that led me to believe it wasn't included. I'm going to call subaru today and see if they can tell me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts