Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i wanted to see if anyone had done this yet or had considered it?

I know it was done on other Subarus but has anyone done this on a 2015+ WRX?
From what I have read the EVO calipers are the same size as the STI, so would it work?

Or would it be easier to just use STI calipers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
Hi i wanted to see if anyone had done this yet or had considered it?

I know it was done on other Subarus but has anyone done this on a 2015+ WRX?
From what I have read the EVO calipers are the same size as the STI, so would it work?

Or would it be easier to just use STI calipers?

Probably would be easier to use STI Brembo's. I'm not sure of their similarities. Keep in mind, if you do this you will need new wheels, rotors and brake lines to pair with the Brembo's.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably would be easier to use STI Brembo's. I'm not sure of their similarities. Keep in mind, if you do this you will need new wheels, rotors and brake lines to pair with the Brembo's.
True, gold sti brakes are about the same price as EVO now anyway.
I know I would need new rotors and brake lines, but I didn't know I needed wheels?

The wheels in the base STI and premium WRX are the same size?

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
True, gold sti brakes are about the same price as EVO now anyway.
I know I would need new rotors and brake lines, but I didn't know I needed wheels?

The wheels in the base STI and premium WRX are the same size?

They might be the same size wheel, but you will have to confirm if Brembo's will fit under those WRX wheels. it's about offset and wheel design. If you install much bigger brakes, you need more room for said brakes.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Which Evo? Evo X brakes are quite a bit bigger compared to previous years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Evo X brakes are the ones I meant.
Sorry I didn't specify

Evo X brakes are a lot larger than STI brakes. You will need to run at least 18" wheels to clear. A fair amount more offset too as I recall.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evo X brakes are a lot larger than STI brakes. You will need to run at least 18" wheels to clear. A fair amount more offset too as I recall.

Interesting. I didn't know that. They are both 4 piston brembo. It would be interesting to see a size comparison

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know that. They are both 4 piston brembo. It would be interesting to see a size comparison

Piston count rarely correlates to size or effectiveness. Don't be brainwashed by marketing. There are also many different variations of brakes that Brembos manufacturers. The brakes that Subaru chose to license to the STI are lower-end. For example, the front brakes on the 2008+ Cobalt SS/TC are Brembo manufactured, but monoblock and significantly better.

OEM 2008-20017 STI rotors are 13" compared to the 13.8" rotors in the Evo X and 14" rotors in the 2018 STI. I'd expect the pad area to correlate accordingly.

FYR, the Volvo-sourced brakes in my wife's old MS3 were single-piston calipers on all 4 corners and as good as my STI Brembos.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Piston count rarely correlates to size or effectiveness. Don't be brainwashed by marketing. There are also many different variations of brakes that Brembos manufacturers. The brakes that Subaru chose to license to the STI are lower-end. For example, the front brakes on the 2008+ Cobalt SS/TC are Brembo manufactured, but monoblock and significantly better.

OEM 2008-20017 STI rotors are 13" compared to the 13.8" rotors in the Evo X and 14" rotors in the 2018 STI. I'd expect the pad area to correlate accordingly.

FYR, the Volvo-sourced brakes in my wife's old MS3 were single-piston calipers on all 4 corners and as good as my STI Brembos.

That's very true.

I might also look into the ATS 4 piston swap that people are doing as well. They sell a kit on subi speed and you can get the calipers pretty cheap on Amazon. Around $100 each for a 4 piston caliper. That's not bad.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
I do believe the rumor is that those ATS brakes are identical to the STI brakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.