Subaru WRX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
chanwahyaoh said:
I just wanted to add to this. I have an 04, and my rear blinkers are NOT PY21W's. They are WY21W's...which is essentially just a 21 Watt 7440 bulb. I bought some 7440's and they fit in there perfectly.

Checkout this thread, we noticed that there is a difference between cars:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48311&highlight=py21w

Maybe it's just a wagon/sedan thing? In the bottom pic in that thread, it looks like an '04 sedan with 7440 bulbs in the rear. But mine definately weren't any kind of wedge bulb. Any other '04 wagon owners out there that can chime in?

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,121 Posts
I wanted to add to this thread because it's linked in the sticky, so some people looking in their for information will be able to use it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As I have just had to do this, let me offer some help. It really is a bit of a pain for what it is...

First remove the grille. The clips on the top are easy, you just lift up the tab in the middle. The "hooks" below are a bit more tricky. The way you get them is to push a long screwdriver into the gap at the top back. The clips on the side cover (the body-color plastic bit between the grille and the light) are easy, just pull the inner part right out before trying to get the outer part out. Then undo the three bolts (10mm) holding in the headlight unit and fiddle the unit forward out of the hole. Simple twist fitting holds the bulb. Don't forget to check it works BEFORE you put it all back together :)

2004+ owners, sorry you're on your own!

·
Registered
6 Posts
From www.sylvania.com/auto/carapp/

High & low beam headlamp
Part number = 9007

Upgrade Part Number = 9007ST
"Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade - Whitest, Brightest, 100% Street Legal"

Upgrade Part Number = 9007CB
Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade - White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Upgrade Part Number = 9007XV
XtraVision Halogen Upgrade - Up to 20% Brighter than standard

Upgrade Part Number = 9007LL
Long Life Halogen Upgrade - Lasts 3x longer

Parking light
Part number = 168

Front turn signal
Part number = 1156
Upgrade Part Number = 1156LL
Long Life Upgrade - Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Tail light
Part number = 7443

Stop light
Part number = 7440

Part number = 7443

High mount stop light
Part number = 912 (Wagon)

Part number = 921 (Sedan)
Upgrade Part Number = 921LL

Fog/Driving light
Part number = H3-55W

License plate
Part number = 168

Back up light
Part number = 7440

Front sidemarker
Part number = 168

Rear sidemarker
Part number = 168

Ash tray
Part number = 74

Map light
Part number = 168

Dome light
Part number = DE3175

Trunk/Cargo area
Part number = 912 (Sedan)

Part number = 921 (Wagon)
Upgrade Part Number = 921LL
This web site is helpful but it isn't always right. My '03 WRX map lights are not 168's. They are DE3175.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Map light
Part number = 168
Is this a standard part number that I can take to Pep Boys / Autozone, or is it Subaru specific? I'll try and pull the bulb before I head over just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
This may sound stupid, but I just want to double check before I make a purchase of anything. I want to get a bunch of LEDs for the interior and reverse lights for the new car from v-leds.com.

Are the lights in the '11 the same as the '10?

Sylvania hasn't updated their site yet for the '11s so I'm not 100% sure.

If no one really knows I guess I will just wait until I get my car and figure out which ones they are. I outfitted my whole BMW with them, it's not hard at all to figure out what size the bulbs are.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
gonna give this a lil bump....see if anyone can answer my question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know how you replace the front parking light bulbs on a 2004 wrx??? You can't get at the socket connector from the engine compartment because it's closed off unlike the low and hi beam bulbs that are apiece of cake. It almost looks like you have to remove the entire headlamp assembly from the car. Hmmm maybe that's why the previous owner never replaced them, (both sides are out).

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,428 Posts
Anyone know how you replace the front parking light bulbs on a 2004 wrx??? You can't get at the socket connector from the engine compartment because it's closed off unlike the low and hi beam bulbs that are apiece of cake. It almost looks like you have to remove the entire headlamp assembly from the car. Hmmm maybe that's why the previous owner never replaced them, (both sides are out).
The owner's manual state to remove the headlamp or take it to a dealer. I have both of mine out and will not replace them because they are probably fine; the circuits are terrible and I don't know if it's the connectors or what, but at one point I could tap either headlamp and have the light come back on. Terrible. So I gave up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The owner's manual state to remove the headlamp or take it to a dealer. I have both of mine out and will not replace them because they are probably fine; the circuits are terrible and I don't know if it's the connectors or what, but at one point I could tap either headlamp and have the light come back on. Terrible. So I gave up.
Thanks but I think I have to replace them. Just got the car a couple weeks ago and I think they have to work in NJ to pass inspection. When you say take the headlamp out do you mean the entire assembly? I'd hate to pay the dealer labor and costs, I'm sure it's a pretty penny for 2 little bulbs. I just can't see any other way to get at those 2 little suckers. Just not sure how to remove the whole assembly.

·
30,428 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool. I'll check it out. Looking under the hood it almost looks like there's 2 top bolts with flanges that attach the light housing assembly to the frame. I'm sure there's some other "hidden" bolts either on the bottom or side, lol. If not, that's way too simple. Thanks again

·
30,428 Posts
Look at the tabs and the middle pieces between the grille and either headlamp as stated in the other thread and you should be OK. Good luck and welcome to the site.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.