Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm going to get the PIAA long range driving lights and mount them under (or maybe over) my liscense plate...They project yellow, in a pencil beam pattern. I have xenon bulbs in my headlights now, and my stock bulbs in my foglights..Is this a good combo? or should i just put the long range lights where my fogs are now, and only have 2 sets of lights? Thanks
Scott

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The only problem I can forsee involves the police.

Any auxilary mounted lights, whether it's driving lights or pencil beam (designed for use with high beams) are still considered to be fog lights.

I've in the past have ran driving lights with low beams (aim the driving lights down just a bit), without any problems from the boys in blue.

The problem is, running the stock fogs with the pencil beams...you might get a ticket for too many light operating in the front.

Likewise you can't run the pencil beams with the high beams.

·
Registered
101 Posts
tan said:
The only problem I can forsee involves the police.

Any auxilary mounted lights, whether it's driving lights or pencil beam (designed for use with high beams) are still considered to be fog lights.
I concur. It's a very good idea to check with your local & state laws. I know in california, you can only have 2 pairs of forward facing lights turned on at any time on public roads. Also, each kind of light (be it auxiliary driving, auxiliary passing, fog, low/high driving, off-road) has certain requirements on their vertical height and cutoff angles. So, you need to make sure the amount of forward facing lights turned on at any given time, total forward facing lights (on or not), beam pattern & cutoff, among other things, to comply to whatever state / local laws you happen to be in.

Just as an f.y.i., here is a link to someone's experience regarding auxiliary lights. I don't know this person, but it may be useful to read this if you're considering adding lighting units on your vehicle. This is California-law specific btw, but may be useful for other states anyway.
legality of aux lights

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well im not worried about legality issues.. i'm not supposed to go 120 everywhere but i do :p

but seriously, i'm just thinking as a lighting pattern..i guess the fogs would be low and out wide, regular lights would get midway and the pencil beams would shoot real far..but will they shoot alot farther then highbeems?

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Yeah, they'll easily outdistance the high beams.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
What about a brighter replacement for the little bulb next to the headlight- not the turn signal, but I guess you'd call it a running light?

·
Registered
701 Posts
anyone got pics of where or a good explanation as to how to adjust the headlights?

·
Registered
503 Posts
i changed my bulbs last week. the headlights are pretty simple but the foglights were kinda tricky. i wasnt sure what to do with the metal clip thing at first but eventually figured it out.

best advice i can give is to check how it is before you take it off otherwise itll take a little bit to figure it out if your dumb like me :p

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
SERacing said:
Just to update anyone that cares...I bought 1156's and shaved the second button off the side and everything works fine...
I did the same. A few months ago I bought PIAA Ion Crystal 168s for the sidemarker lights. I really liked them, so I was going to change all the amber lights to yellow. Unfortunatly PIAA only makes ion crystal foglamps and 168s, so I had to buy regular yellow 1156 bulbs. I installed them and they work great. But they aren't that yellow and almost too bright. I think I'm going back to amber signals.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
RaCinWRX said:
Sorry, i forget that's what only we call it (in my lil group/area)

it's the 12v 5w wedge bulb, i believe (not sure on the number). for the hyper white bulb i bought from hibrid, it's a T10 bulb.

--RaCinWRX
So you changed the parking light wedge blub in the headlight? Did you find a whiter bulb?

I have Silverstar headlamps and the wedge bulbs next to them are yellow. I hate the way it looks. I've been trying to find a wedge bulb closer to white, but no luck. I tried PIAA Xtreme Whites and they were more blue than white. I tried white LEDs and they were as blue as the PIAAs, but dimmer.

·
Registered
701 Posts
everything is gonna look dull compared to HID look might as well go with the LED's or find a light blub bulb if you dont want it quite as blue, I had some light blues before in my last car and they looked good compared to my sylvanias a bit duller but better than stock or crappy white ones

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
0260B4U said:
everything is gonna look dull compared to HID look might as well go with the LED's or find a light blub bulb if you dont want it quite as blue, I had some light blues before in my last car and they looked good compared to my sylvanias a bit duller but better than stock or crappy white ones
I did try LEDs and they were the same as the PIAAs. What bulbs did you get?

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.