ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 WRX STI. Car now has 5000 miles on it. Since new, under hard acceleration, the acceleration is slightly erratic and not smooth. Thought it was just me at first, but after running on the freeway today in Super Sport mode it was very noticeable. Is it normal.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Are you used to a non-turbo car? It isn't like that. What boost are you hitting - does it build up to a peak then taper off or does it go up and down and up and down?

Normal is less than smooth but not surging then falling on its face then surging again.

If your boost is surging or below target, since it is new, take it to the dealer and ride with them to demonstrate. If they say it is normal and you disagree, ask to drive another STi or ask them to diagnose whether your DAM is at 1 and if there is any learned knock

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Stop riding it so hard. Are u up to date on maitanace
Why should you buy an STi and "not ride it hard"?? I agree you shouldn't ride it when it is lame or put it away wet though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't rising it hard. It occurs under normal but full acceleration. I don't consider full throttle riding hard. I have had other turbo cars before. They were smoother. But it's not extreme, but a light definitely noticeable non smoothness. I don't have a boost gauge. Car is stock. Yes on maintenance.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well sir I am no expert but I had a similar experience twice and it was caused by different things both times. Once was because a had a hairline rip in the hose that goes from the turbo to my boost seloniod and the other was a spark plug issue I really hope I are able to solve this have u checked all your hoses

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Hoses get old and crack, spark plugs wear out, fuel filters get clogged, etc., but this is a new car.....

You are either just feeling the inconsistencies in the stock mapping (very likely and that is normal but can be improved), or your car is pulling timing due to a leak in the intake after the MAF but before the turbo, bad gas, etc. (which is bad long term). There are smoother maps available, although I can't recommend the cobb stage I as good to go after a recent set of logs I looked at.

Or you have a boost control system leak or boost leak that is causing surging, which would be obvious to you and dramatic having owned previous turbos.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Been a while, any update on the "hesitations"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been running into the same problem with my 2012 sti. It only happens when I'm on the highway and really get on the gas... Not so much on acceleration. Is this something I should be talking to the dealer about?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts