Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting perrins equal length headers for my 2017 WRX. Wondering what your guys thought are on this. Also very rookie at working on cars as well. Am I gonna be hating life trying to figure out how to do this or is it a fairly simple job?

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
Why would you even consider making your car worse?

I'm not even aware of any UELH that fit the WRX. BRZ yes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't realize that. Guys I've talked to and a bit of research always said the WRX came with UE. And that equal was the upgrade at the cost of the sound. Not sure if that's the case with the newer ones ghough

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You may not have that boxer rumble, but the equal length header in your car is superior to unequal length both from a performance and reliability aspect. Don't waste money making your car worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! Works for me. So then the newer ones already come with the equal lengths now? Saves me the money haha. Considering they run like $1000+

·
Registered
338 Posts
you have a WRX not an STi right?

As I understand it (and someone correct me if Im wrong)

equal length headers make more power and torque than unequal length.
Unequal length headers give the signature boxer rumble

The FA20 in the WRX already has Equal length headers
The STi EJ motor still uses unequal length headers which is one reason why they sound better.

The headers on the FA20 arent the bottleneck/problem and you would pretty much be wasting your money and time putting on another set of headers unless you were building up the internals on the motor and putting in a bigger turbo etc. etc

Turbo back exhaust (J-pipe with high flow cat or no cat and full exhaust), TGV and EGR deletes, ECBS, Airbox and a protune are where you are going to gain HP on the FA20 initially.

Be careful though once you start getting close to 325 HP you are pushing the limits. Ive read that 350 hp is the limit of what you want to do without beefing up the internals (**Dont recall if thats WHEEL HP or motor) You def would see decreased durabiliy. Then you get into clutch and driveline issues

talk to some reputable tuners about your goals and see what route they suggest you take. Throwing random parts at the car is not a recipe for success and will just waste $$

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Little confusion above. New 2.0 engines come with equal length headers. Equal length is best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh alright! Yeah I wasn't sure if it already came with equals. And I have the WRX.

And yeah the plan is slowly over time making my way up there in power. Once I research and talk to people who know more. I'm pretty much just tinkering and need all the help I can get haha. Still lots to learn

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
There's more to the sound difference between the WRX and STI than just the header design, though certainly the header design is a big factor. Also a consideration -- larger bore and shorter stroke of EJ25, intake runner, ports, and exahaust dogleg design. Case in point: the EJ20 WRX always sounded different (and better IMO) compared to an EJ25 WRX with the same exhaust.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't think UELH will work with a twin scroll turbo or at least it will make it preform poorly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't think UELH will work with a twin scroll turbo or at least it will make it preform poorly.
It would defeat the reason for having a twin scroll manifold and kill the efficiency gains

Sti has been equal length twinscroll headers in japan since 2003

1 - 11 of 11 Posts