ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, these are pics of the current prototype. The last one fired about 85 feet and had a weight box approximantely half teh size. This current prototype modified only the weight box.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some more

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
those things are so cool!

see the one on the history channel that launched a car hundreds of yards?

im just glad im not parked in that parking lot with you little devils launching things! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am curious if the ratio between trebuchet size and distance thrown is linear. I know it will reach a point where it will lose efficiency, but i wonder about the relationship.

Right now the relationship between total height (6ft) and distance thrown (84ft) gives it an efficiency rating of 16. If we increase total height to 10 feet, I wonder if we can get it to throw 160 ft.

I think that may be the next test...

·
Registered
677 Posts
I saw them testing the one for the discovery channel over in Scotland, during testing and that thing was the real deal.

In my autocad class this semester we're going to have to make an electric model of a trebuchet and make it work.

I cant believe you guys are doing that with the cars parked, but I guess if it only goes in a straightline you wont have a problem.

Are you in highschool physics? My senior year our class had to make a visualization of the "hunter shooting a monkey on a tree, monkey jumps at the same time as the bullet is shot, the monkey is shot midair because gravity pulls them both down at the same speed" theory so we had this killer crossbow setup and then a big piece of pvc pipe that would drop a can and then we'd hit it it in midair. The one time we missed our little ball cracked the PVC pipe. The other groups killer projects missed and made a nice "3" wide .25" deep chip out of a concrete wall.

Physics projects rock!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is for my drafting class that i teach...

we look at the entire design loop

conception to research to planning to design to blueprints to 3d model to rendered model to prototype model to troubleshooting to finalization

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wonny said:
Is that Glenbrook North? :rotfl:
is it that funny, where have you been for two years? :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
patience grasshopper...today is holloween

·
Registered
161 Posts
I graduated from good old Gleenbrook North in 99.

I thought that parking lot looked familiar. :p

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Kinda OT, but I had to solve for the lagrangian equation for a trebuchet in one of my physics classes this semester. I just saw the title and decided I had to respond. I didn't know what it was until I took the exam. Kinda cool to actually see a working one though.

Good job. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you have info you can send me on that???

i would love to take this project one step further and integrate some math and physics in to it...the goal is to prep these kids for engineering topics

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
What kind of info do you want about it?

The lagrangian is similar to newtons laws except they allow you to generalize everything down into two generalized coordinates. I think on this problem we generalized it down to theta(angle with torque arm) and phi(angle with swinging arm).

EDIT: I don't know if that makes any sense or not though or if it is anything that would really be helpful to you. :confused1

Just let me know what you want to know and I will do my best to help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've seem some where the weight box hung from a pivot and it is supposed to work better. Some even have wheels on the base. I'm such an expert after watching 2 shows on TV :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts