Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wonderful 2002 WRX Wagon 2.0L Turbo. Love this car. I didn't need it this winter so I let it sit in the parking lot for roughly 4 months. I went out to start the car, battery was dead, no big deal simple jump and car was purring like a sweet baby kitten. I drove around for a little bit (20 minutes) then returned back to my place and turned off the car. This is where it got interesting. Everything in the car turned off, radio, lights... etc. But the engine continued to idle. This did not surprise me at first because I have a turbo whine down in the car. But as I looked down, I noticed the aftermarket part was off, and therefor the car should have died. All the button pushing on the aftermarket device did not kill the engine. I had to drop the clutch in first gear as I held my foot on the brake.

Initial thoughts were that after the couple weeks of sub zero temperatures and no power that electronics needed to juice back up. But even after some time on a trickle charger there was no change in the results. The longer the car is off the more the battery is run down, leading me to believe that the engine system is drawing power for some reason. There is no check engine light. Is there a relay or system that could be secretly stuck on. Is my aftermarket turbo wind down causing troubles? What are some trouble shooting steps that I can take to help pinpoint issue?

Thank you in advance for all assistance.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
There is a number of things that can cause this. And I would guess it has to do with your turbo timer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
The battery charges and maybe even some small capacitors on circuit boards in the car. But nothing else "juices up." Disconnect power supply to the timer and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Power: I have disconnected my battery for a week, to fully pull all power from the car and system, and then I reconnected it and still have issue.
Turbo timer: I turned off the turbo timer and it still stayed running. I have to have the hand brake engaged to be able to use the turbo timer, and the car won't turn off if the hand brake is engaged and it won't turn off if the hand brake is not engaged. When the hand brake is not engaged it is supposed to turn off even if the turbo timer is on. This leads me to think that the issue is not with the turbo timer. Or maybe I am 100% wrong on that thought train, and half the turbo timer is working (part under the hood) and the other half is not working(part in the car that I can change setting on).

Still looking for thoughts and if anyone has any recommended relays that could be the problem. Question is, has anyone else had this problem? Do you have a turbo timer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery charges and maybe even some small capacitors on circuit boards in the car. But nothing else "juices up." Disconnect power supply to the timer and see what happens.
I miss understood what you were saying. I will try to "remove" the turbo timer by disconnecting the power to it. It may be possible that the aftermarket product has gone bad. Ill update thread soon with the results. I will give it a day and let the current snow storm to pass so I can work on the car on a warmer day.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
I would remove it completely as there is zero point for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts