ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just finished installing my cold air intake. After everything has been bolted up and secured i went to start her up and she died after about a second. The motor starts up fully but it wont stay idle for even a second any ideas?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
The simple solution is to fit the correct intake again. You likely have the MAF oriented incorrectly (the harness part of the unit must face towards the nose of the car), have not fully reconnected the harness, and/or have introduced a vacuum leak. See the link in my signature for more general info on intakes (I am not a fan; others are).

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
SD_GR said:
You likely have the MAF oriented incorrectly (the harness part of the unit must face towards the nose of the car),
My $ is on this

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
MAF issue.

What year WRX and what kind of intake?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed it! Ok so the intake was some cheap $40 ebay brand one, and it came in 2 pieces. So the closest to the motor was on backwards therefore the MAF was facing the wrong way. Feel kinda dumb, cuz while i was putting on the MAF i was wondering if it mattered which way it faced. Oh well, Shes driving good now. Thanks for your help guys!!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Fixed it! Ok so the intake was some cheap $40 ebay brand one, and it came in 2 pieces. So the closest to the motor was on backwards therefore the MAF was facing the wrong way. Feel kinda dumb, cuz while i was putting on the MAF i was wondering if it mattered which way it faced. Oh well, Shes driving good now. Thanks for your help guys!!
You're welcome, but I have some reservations about just how "good" she's actually driving. It does not sound like the intake is brilliant, and the cars are generally a bit demanding when it comes to metering air and fueling for that air. I doubt the intake is doing anything for the car, and frankly if it were me, I'd remove it.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
There is an arrow on the MAF the indicates which direction the air should flow.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Ok so the intake was some cheap $40 ebay brand one, and it came in 2 pieces.
Don't be surprised if your car runs like ass anyway. Cheep intakes don't do well on any WRX. Even more "expensive" ones like Injen are complete garbage...you should go back to the stock airbox.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're welcome, but I have some reservations about just how "good" she's actually driving. It does not sound like the intake is brilliant, and the cars are generally a bit demanding when it comes to metering air and fueling for that air. I doubt the intake is doing anything for the car, and frankly if it were me, I'd remove it.
Hmm well i mean i didn't expect it to do anything really performance wise, just got it bc i like the sound. Do you think leaving it on there for a few months will harm it? Im waiting for my friend to start his STI build, hes going to be giving me his injen intake, his brand name TBE (not sure which brand), sti turbo and sti top mount. At which time ill replace all the bolt ons and get the access port for the stg 2 map. Ill wait to install the turbo till i have all the necessary upgrades and chose a tune shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be surprised if your car runs like ass anyway. Cheep intakes don't do well on any WRX. Even more "expensive" ones like Injen are complete garbage...you should go back to the stock airbox.
Lol such a pain in my back. Do you think leaving on will prove harmful?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Do you think leaving it on there for a few months will harm it? Im waiting for my friend to start his STI build, hes going to be giving me his injen intake.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Lol such a pain in my back. Do you think leaving on will prove harmful?
It's one of those things that you won't ever know what the harm will be until the harm has already occurred. For the 02-07 WRX/STIs...I wouldn't put anything other than a Cobb, SPT, K&N Typhoon, or APS intake. Or stock...

And don't bother with the Injen...that one is known to cause more harm than good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Your stock one is good to power levels well above what you have. If you want the sound, do the snorkus delete on the stock intake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts