Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal, my engine is ticking, not only on idle but now when I accellerate. It only ticks for alittle then goes away as I accellerate. I was at a stop sign tonight and revved my engine to 4-5k and the needle would fall back down below 1k rpm and my lights would dim and car would idle rough for that second. The one time I did it tonight the car stalled. I opened the hood and tried to pinpoint the ticking but couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from. Note that when i was driving and got on it, the car still moved quick as it used to and that I didnt feel any loss of power. I really dont have any mods on my car right now to make something serious happen. My only mods ON the car is a catback, blow off valve, and short ram intake... I have the MBC off the car now, and the downpipe and uppipe are sitting right beside me. Any responses would be appreciated. Yes I did search and found a few source which did not really match what I was looking for.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From what it sounds like, its your BOV. The BOV causes the car to idle different and it can even cause the car to stall. Check to see that the BOV is set and adjusted properly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the TXS RFL-H how do i do this... I have taken the top of it off before and made sure everything is moving freely. Sorry I am not to bright on mechanic work! Thx for your response man!

·
Banned
601 Posts
The ticking isn't coming from the bov, it's coming from the engine, and is not related with bad idle. My car ticks too, and from what I know, it's pretty common with wrx's, some tick louder when cold..... The bov might be the idle problem, the exhaust might be. I don't own the same bov, but from what I know there are some washers you can take out or put in to make the spring tension stiffer or looser. If you're having idle problems, you'd probably have to put another washer in(but I dunno).....

peace

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hip thx man, u always respond to my threads... You da man! lol... I know ticking at idle is normal with wrxs... mine ticks really only when its cold out and it will tick every once and awhile when accellerating in low gears then go away or like i said I cant tell if its there cause of my exhaust. Ima have to try that with my bov and the washer! Thanks!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Makes me get out and check the oil occasionally so, I guess the ticking isn't all bad. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
the ticking that you are hearing is valvetrain noise.. a better synthetic oil will help. I reccomend Neo synthetic.

-Mike

ps: bovs are fun, but they often times can hurt performance (on semi stock cars)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree with the rest of the members here. I think it's the lifters that make the ticking. My car tickes alittle too, particular when the car is cold. I just changed the oil (mobil 1 0w-40) but the ticking remains. Guess I have to upgrade my valvetrain to some jun stuff when it gets really bad. Then I can raise the rev limit alittle too ;)

As for the bov I think I'll might go with an bov that recycle the air.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That same ticking thing happened to me. It was bad lifters caused by a bad cam sprocket. It cost me a lot to have fixed.

:confused1

·
Registered
70 Posts
On a serious note, the EJ20 is just naturally a noisy engine. The mechanicals are loud because the rest of it is so smooth I bet. Nothing to worry about, just try some of the other guy's suggestions about changing oil. I run Mobil 1 5W-30, I'm sure that would probably help with the tickling a little, I mean ticking.

;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts