Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback. The owner has told me the engine was rebuilt and the process on how it was broken in. I have attached all the documents relating to the repairs and processes to get it running back to normal. The owner said that all of the necessary actions have been taken to get the car back up and running. Does this look like a good buy or should I stay away?

Thank you

· Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
534 Posts
Work was done by a legitimate shop. Boosted Performance works with them for tuning. Shouldn’t be any issues assuming the current owner followed the break in procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
57 Posts
The engine failed at 66K. That's very disappointing. I'd walk, frankly.
I'm with you XJ Man on price and again with SD-GR....To the point why gone at 60K?....how
flogged is this car....or was there 'gear' on it before this rebuild which helped it to the car cemetery

Subaru don't buld engines to last a few clicks but the price gives an idea of just how expensive
it is in some regimes, to have such a vehicle. Not having had to buy them the forged piston set
seems very cheap to me, that's not to say not correct, the make isn't there which for me is '??'...
Out here a set of forged pistons ( name aside...Mahle I suppose) would be around $1400.00

In a country where they will not even enforce minimum wage at $15/hour then even at $100 hour
workshop charge-out that's 28 hours to rebuild an already cleaned and machined engine.
That said in our dollars a WRX long engine rebuild by long time company here even through
one of their franchises would be under $8000 all up with the pistons.

If the $8000 includes R and R and retuning...that sounds ok.

That said...I don't think I'd buy it. I'd look for a well maintained car with good service
records which don't show thousands spent (lemon?)....It's not my call of course...just not
what I see asany sort of good investment.

I can ok "run-in" as a procedure but 'broken in' ....Hmmmmmmmmmm!...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.