ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning at around 3am I left a pretty decent graduation party to make the 5.5 hour drive back to Annapolis, MD via the New Jersey Turnpike and route 95 south. I've done this drive about a trillion times, so considering that I'm familiar with it and I had my valentine 1 with me, I felt good about opening it up a little bit (read: redlining 5th gear). Since i have the version4 STi tranny, this wasn't THAT fast, and also since it was the early early morning, no one was out, but I got it up to 145 before hitting about 6900 rpm and shutting down.

Okay, that has nothing to do with my problems though, I just thought I'd throw that in there.....the real problem starts here:

About an hour later, I was driving at about 80mph on low boost setting (daily driver, I set the boost to 9psi for better gas mileage/safety) when I noticed what sounded like an exhaust leak (fluttery sound). The only reason I know it's not is because I was able to make boost and hold it just fine at all RPM, and the sound went away above 3900 rpm. This continued for about half an hour, until it started to pour and pour rain, in heavy torrents. The car was skidding out a little bit and hydroplaning on my big wide tires, so I started to slow down a considerable amount and coasted to about 45-50mph in 5th gear (about 2500 rpm). When I tried to give it a little gas to keep it at 50mph, I heard a grinding sound, almost like I was grinding a gear, but it was coming from under the hood, and the shifter felt normal. Then the car started to clank, like the sound of a wrench being dropped on the floor, and when I put it in neutral, it stalled out on me and would not start again. The engine makes a sputtering sound when the key is turned, but does not want to start.

When the tow truck pulled me up on the flatbed, there was a 2' wide puddle of gas on the ground, making me think it could be a busted fuel system (pump or lines). It might also possibly be a fukced engine (98xxx miles on stock block, stage 4). EGTs were all normal when this happened (650-700c under full boost) and there was no rapid drop in oil pressure.

Very very weird, and now I'm facing some serious engine work on my car, which is sitting at some random Subaru dealership in Sicklerville, NJ. When their service department opens up tommorow, I may have more to report, but until then, consider my car DOA.

~Tim

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
The next step is clear.

Forced modifications due to car's damage.

And the fact that the word "forced" got in there is no accident. ;)

2.5 liter built block, FP green, everything supporting, serious cooling as well. key word: airflow

P.S. Thanks for the phone call at 4am and 6am. :tongue: Just kidding, anything to help out a brody.

:confused:

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
Then the car started to clank, like the sound of a wrench being dropped on the floor, and when I put it in neutral, it stalled out on me and would not start again. The engine makes a sputtering sound when the key is turned, but does not want to start.

~Tim
This is the same exact sound I heard coming from my VW Beetle, right before it threw a rod through the side of the block. I think you gave the motor its last HOORAH when you opened up the car to 6900 rpms and 145 miles per hour.

Think on the positive side, you can get a built motor now that can withstand twice as much boost for another 98k miles:)

Good luck, I hope your motor is okay.:wiggles:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Well Tim, part of me is very sad that this happened. It always sucks to hear about this and it gets me thinking that my car is a time bomb. On a positive note, as Jsoh pointed out, this is just forced mod time. You HAVE to get a new engine most likely, and really a built motor isthe only logical step (according to steve's fcuked up more HP logic anyway). Was your PM a bit of foreshadowing?! hehe

Anyway, bummer to hear. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
This sucks Tim but I am not going to argue with what anyone else has said here. You know what you have to do. :D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bank account hates all of you. I still don't have any word as to what's wrong, but the dealership should be done with their diagnostic by the end of the week.

*crossed fingers for busted fuel pump*

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
You have 98,000+ on a stock block at Stage 4, and you've been driving it like it was built to be driven? Cool...

So a dealership will work on a fairly modded car? Or are you just using them for diagnostic purposes?

·
Registered
176 Posts
whats the name of the dealership? i bought my suby in sicklerville. the place was martin sub, suzuki etc on the black horse pike

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
PPMotorsports said:
Tim,

Whatever is wrong, I'll help you get all the parts you need to get your car back in shape.

-Jim
Jim,
Its too bad (well, maybe not) you don't live in Runnemeade anymore at that apartment. You would've been right there....and could've thrown in a new fuel pump or anything else you have laying around in inventory....you know...like a new engine just sitting in the storage area :)

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Your description sounds to me like you threw a rod. Are you sure the puddle was gas, and not oil? They both look almost the same on wet ground.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trainrex said:
Your description sounds to me like you threw a rod. Are you sure the puddle was gas, and not oil? They both look almost the same on wet ground.
No, I'm not sure....it may very well have been oil, but there was no smoke from the engine bay when I pulled over, nor was there a really strong burning oil smell.

1fastrex said:
whats the name of the dealership? i bought my suby in sicklerville. the place was martin sub, suzuki etc on the black horse pike
Yeah, same place...it's sitting in their parking lot right now.

RayfieldsWRX said:
You have 98,000+ on a stock block at Stage 4, and you've been driving it like it was built to be driven? Cool...

So a dealership will work on a fairly modded car? Or are you just using them for diagnostic purposes?
mostly diagnostic, it'll most likely end up at Precision Tuning if it's anything more serious than a fuel line/pump problem.

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
500 Posts
The only way to get ahead in America is by throwing yourself heedlessly into massive debt. Whether it's Law School (my case), opening a business, or learning a trade, the rule is applied regardlessly and without exception. Money is spent, in order for money to be made. The more is spent WISELY, the more is usually made.

Unfortunately too many, myself included, waste much of their hard earned money and time on things that are fruitless, or un-profitable, before realizing the mistakke they made. Money can be used foolishly and bring about ruin, or used wisely and conscienciously, allowing one to reap great rewards.

Applying this theory to your scenario, you will certainly realize that the car is more likely to be the a waste of money, as it will undoubtedly turn into a money pit. Replacing the engine will lead to headaches and hidden expenses that could possibly make you give up and buy an EVO VIII. (try a search on bad engine swaps and see for yourself)

Hence...Don't waste time (which equals $$$), money, precious nerves, and lay waste your credit score buying a motor for a car that has almost a 100k on it. It'll never be new!! Never the same, never as reliable as a new car.

Therefore, trade it in or sell it for parts, make a downpayment on a new STi, and pursue your life dreams in one of the best performing cars on the planet, with a factory warranty.

My suggestion, contrary to all others, is to move on, move up, and get on with being successful.

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
500 Posts
That doesn't mean that you shouldn't tell people about that awesome WRX you had when you were young, and reminisce about it when daydreaming.

·
48,699 Posts
ej20fan said:
The only way to get ahead in America is by throwing yourself heedlessly into massive debt.
Nah.:wiggles:

These cars are toys from the beginning. If we were all being financially "prudent", we would have purchased Civic Hybrids.

It all depends on what degree of frivolous spending Tim wants to engage in. If he acquired a built 2.5 liter, and ran a decent sized turbo, he'd have something that's not even comparable to an Evo.

IMO, of course...

·
48,699 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
Except he only got the car a few months ago and has probably only put a few thousand miles on it. :(
Did he buy the engine or car used? He said the block has 98xxx miles on it...:confused:

Just curious.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts